What to do when your dog thinks it's a cat

Panda

Hello

Bit of a weird problem and not the first time it's happened to me sooo, think I'm doing something wrong.  My new pup (rescued from phoenix association) has started to act like a cat.  First she would just lie on the window sill in the sun like the cat does, then she started trying to get on the worktops and sometimes succeeded where she would sit and look at you like the cat does.  Next she started peeing and pooing (yuk) next to the cat litter having been clean in the house for some weeks.  This morning she is curled up on the cats bed in front of the fire, the stupid thing is I have placed this on the coffee table as the cat at 18 years old wants a bit of peace!

As I said this is not the first time, my old dog now 11 used to do the same kind of things and even now cleans his face by sitting right up and licking his paws and running them across his face, just like the cat does.

This is the same cat n both cases, do you think she is convincing them they are cats, the old dog got so cat like he stopped barking and now only does it if really pushed, he chases small birds and has caught a couple.

It's all very odd, the old one I can cope with but the new one with poo and work tops involved, yuk!

Panda

Wow a great dane cat, that is some cat, imagine the poor mice's face when he sees that coming for him!!

Mine are cocker spaniel(ish), I say ish as the old dog is a working cocker and so not the frilly kind and the new dog whilst described by phoenix as a cocker I think a bit of poetic licence came in there as every day she looks more like a poodle, wirey curls and all!  I'm quite happy though as she doesn't lose any hair.  She could be poodle cros spaniel I guess, she is very cute and hard to tell off!

Any chance that the dog is imitating what it can see of the cat's behaviour, as this seems to get the cat lots of love, comfort and attention etc?????......If you ignore the unwanted behaviours and go loopy with praise over "good" activities, this should start to work.

Or, of course, you may have the Paul Mckenna of the cat world sharing your home[:D]

Chrissie (81)

Funny, the OH always wanted the lights out and does seem to have a hairy back. As to how he............ well, my mother would not like it. Unless woof woof, (hang on, I need my pillsssssssssssss. Snake medicine is good for these kind of wayward pets too.

Ask Panda, she knows the problems.[6]

We have a white shepherd 6 month old, and also a cat. The two of them play together and Frodo, the cat, has taught Clouseau, the dog to stalk, hunt and catch mice. It's not too bad him doing this at home, but when we're out walking him and suddenly he's down almost on his belly crawling towards a clump of grass before pouncing a re-surface with a mouse is a little embarrising, especially when he insists on bring his catch home. If you try and take it off him he give a crunch or two and it's gone. At home he'll play with them too and has stolen the cats toy mouse as well to toss up and swat with his paws.

We do have a running battle with the cat,  water pistol and the work surfaces which we're slowly winning, and so far the dog has not tried anything on as far as they're concerned ..... he's way too big anyway. But he does eye up the window the cat likes to hop in and out of with a calculating look on his face, so we're keeping that closed most of the time. The cat flap doesn't as he tried to go though it one too many times...... glad to know we're not the only ones