Logistics

Freedom

With only 6 weeks (hopefully) to go before we get the keys to our French property, we are now thinking about basic but obvious requirements like beds to sleep in, cups to drink out off, something to sit on... So question for you maison secondaire owners out there... How do we buy beds/sofas etc and get them delivered within a few days? Any good tips? Its all very exciting starting from scratch (plus expensive - I bet!) but really want to buy French from the start rather than buy over here and hire a van. (We'll still be living in England so existing furniture stays in London). Smaller goods, crockery/sheets etc I can get from the Hypermarkets, they'll load in the back of the car - its the big things I'm scratching my head about!

Thanks for you help!

Leigh

[quote]With only 6 weeks (hopefully) to go before we get the keys to our French property, we are now thinking about basic but obvious requirements like beds to sleep in, cups to drink out off, something to s...[/quote]

Lot's of the larger furniture stores in France will let you rent one of their vans by the hour if you are buying new, they normally offer a delivery service as well if you want it, not normally free though, also some of the second hand stores will deliver locally at a reasonable price.

Yes, Les is quite right, hire the van from the store and do your own deliveries. If you go to an out of town shopping area, you will have a better choice of retailers and then you can hire your van from one of them and collect your other items from other suppliers all at the same time. Much of French furniture such as beds, cupboards comes flat pack and you will be amazed what one van load will take. Just make sure you have helpers to avoid a hernia.

Baz

Have to say Atlas have been brilliant! Bought a sideboard (buffet) when we first moved in as we had no kitchen and needed mouse proof storage! Bought a nice solid one from Atlas and they loaded it into our estate car - unfortunately we couldn't remove it for a couple of weeks (until we had help) as it was sooo heavy!

Next visit they loaded in a sofabed - managed to remove that OK!

They seem to hold good stocks and are often near a Fly store (more ikeaish stuff) which has vans to rent.

http://www.atlasmeubles.fr

I'll probably get flak for this but suggest you buy your bedlinen in the UK and take it over. Much cheaper and better quality. Duvet covers here have a strange envelope thingy to tuck in!! And pillow cases are square! We always stock up at Ikea/Tescos or Debenhams when in the UK.

regards......and happy shopping....helen