succesful rabbies jabs

michelle

Hi Everyone,

We are moving to france within the next 12 months.

I keep seeing bad reports about adverse re-actions to rabbies jabs in cats and dogs, them being not only just after the jab but later in the following months with tumours etc.

Can anyone reassure me about any pets that were ok with it all?

Rather worried

michelle

Hi Michelle,

We had our dogs and cats done and they were all absolutely fine, no problems with the blood tests either- they all came back with positive antibodies straight away. The only difference i noticed was that one cat became extremely more loving and had to sit with me all the time (although that's probably more to do with the fact that i've just had a baby and she was trying to get some more attention!)

Anj

Ours have all been fine - including our old boy who was 11 when he had his first rabies shot (he lived to be 15).  Our vet recommends waiting 5-6 weeks from the jab to the blood test if possible as he has had a few failures after 4 weeks but none after the longer delay.

My siamese cat died from turmours caused by the ordinary cat jabs that you have yearly for lucaemie etc and not the rabies jab. The sarcoma was caused by the not so pure as it is today vaccine for cats and dogs is quite rare but does affect those who were injected at least 10 years plus ago and certain races seem more susceptible than others. You should check your animals often especially around the shoulder areas for any lumps and get them assessed and removed where necessary which in our case did not work because they grew back three months later. There is plenty on the internet about feline sarcoma if you are worried