hens worming

mooky

At long last I have two hens. My friends who have them say they don'r worm or 'red mite' their chhoks. I want to do what is right for their well being. Can anyone tell me what to use, also where can you get things like red mite powder from over here?

I have always used this solution for red mites and found it very effective , dont bother with the powders they are usless, you wash the house with it and ith in days they are gone, only use when you have them , untill you get them its pointless. the fastest way of getting them is to use natural (untreated hay) hay , as that is where they come from we have always used sand on the floor and srraw or shredded paper for the nest boxes.Get your self a shredder and shred all those bills etc....... 

http://www.ratbait.co.uk/index.asp?function=DISPLAYCAT&catid=37&gclid=CO3H6v_-gJMCFQttMAod7WmlBQ

Sorry dont know if they post to france

As for worming we use to do ours every year with a solution from the vets , but we were told unless they are coming in contact with other birds , once when young is enough . but as we use to see wild birds eating thier food we carried on every year .

Pads, I am quite new to the forum and just had to ask, are you going on hols to Carcassone or going to live??? sorry its nothing to do with the thread but have noticed your barometer a lot and was interested.

We worm our hens a couple of times a year and use Flubenvet powder, it's very effective and if you just have a few hens it lasts forever! We get it in the UK, you can buy it from some pharmacies that deal in animal medicines, and although some people say you need a prescription from your vet we have never been asked for one. For the mites I use any of the sprays that are available for pidgeon lofts etc, making sure you spray the perches at the ends and all the corners of the hen house. I then mix louse powder in with the wood shavings which we use as the house litter. If you really want to treat them give them a sprinkle of poultry spice in their feed occasionally! Voila! Happy Hens! [:D]

At what age is it advisable to worm chicks for the first time?

It was day 21 in the incubator yesterday and by 5 o'clock this morning there were 3 little bundles of fluff cheeping away and 5 more egss pipping.  It is the first time I have tried incubation so would like to do things right and get them off to a good start.

LL, have a word with your Vet, they will put you right on a worming / vermifuge regime.  Generally, as soon as you let the chicks out on to grass they should be wormed.   But, consider not worming them as hens are quite robust creatures.  Once you start worming, you will need to keep up the regime and this is a problem with layers due to the withdrawal period of several days (7-10 I think).  How do you manage that with 10 ++++ hens ?  I dont worm and have found no problems.  This does not apply to other birds, turkeys particularly are VERY sensitve to one type of common worm that results in death.  I worm the Turkeys once every 2 weeks !!!

I have never wormed my hens in over 5 years - I use cider vinegar in their drinking water once a week as a preventative measure and have never had a problem. As for red mite, when we built our coop we treated the wood with insecticide and we dust once a week with Saniterpen and have never had a problem.