Re: Dog castration

Zac

They did the same with our dog - despite a certain amount of "withering", two months down the track he still has a long ugly dangling scrotum!  I am terrified he will catch it on brambles or even on the towbar when leaping out of car!  Good conversation piece when we have visitors though[:D]

Chrissie (81)

He's had a vasectomy and not a full castration! I gather this means that although he will no longer be able to impregate, it won't stop any 'wanderlust'! Think we are going to have to get our 2 yr old border collie properly castrated as he has just recently turned into a wandering bag of hormones which we need to do something about - fortunately we live out in the sticks, but I know there is a bitch (female dog!) up the hill who has not yet been speyed, so he may well be <ahem> 'visiting' ;-)

No, it's not a vasectomy, it's a castration.  They take them out through the incision as mentioned above and on the link I put.

Chrissie is yours an older dog, in which case it does seem to dangle a bit, as it probably did before anyway!  It should retract to a certain extent with time though.

Our lad Charley was "done" by the SPA, however it did not stop him thinking he was Russell Brand for two weeks when Harley was in season!   Unfortunately because his bits were removed he gave himself a sort of hernia twice and OH had to poke it back wearing yellow marigold gloves - now when he spots marigolds he runs a mile!! [:)] 

Yes, ours is an older dog and I was referring only to the sack - unfortunately the more medical term, starting with scr...got bleeped out(!) giving a totally different impression!  The castration was done by the SPA and my own (French) vet said it was ridiculous to have left so much, er, material behind.   I'm still trying to get a decent photo of him for the Pets in Photography section, but with the grey weather and a naturally solemn expression - him, not me, it's been tricky.

Chrissie (81)

We are umming and aahhing about castration too four our 8month old for which the vet says it is not important to get him done but once he has had the taste for females in season it won't ever go away even if he was castrated after.Trouble is,we know we get a lot of money in stud fees if we went along those lines but I didn't buy him for that.

Puzzled - As stated in previous correspondence I was having my dog castrated last Friday.  I checked with the vet after the op to see if his 'bits' were removed totally, to which she answered yes and asked me if I wanted to see them!  I politley declined this. 

The dog has to wear a 'cone' around his neck for 10 days to prevent him licking the affected area, also there were no stitches, just a 3 inch incision which is covered with a hefty plaster.  He's only 9 months old and has been full of beans, as if he hadn't been operated on.  He's a border collie and it's difficult to keep him quiet, but he's a wonderful dog - Zac

That is beginning to put me off having my little lad done shortly as he is fastidious just like a cat when it comes to cleaning paws and genital regions. When my big male cat was done,he just had two sutures and a spray on silver antiseptic and that was it and I thought it would be the same for the dog and those cones,have had lots of those over the years,will drive him mental.

Our dog was done this way earlier this year, we were also concerned his bits were still there, but several months one his sac is now empty. He has also settled down and is a very happy chap. It was amuzing to see him when the collar came off still acting as though it was one when it came to turning around in the corridor though..............