Furniture from UK to 16/24 : one-way hire or removals firm?

Hi,

Not sure if this is the best forum but...

In the next 3 weeks or so we need to bring over a Luton-sized amount of furniture from the UK Midlands to 16/24. Can anyone point me to a firm that does one-way truck hire, or someone that can perhaps do the removals for a reasonable price?

Thanks,

F24.

Not too sure about the scale, but I think Alec's van was a little smaller than that. He did, however, have a trailer which was almost as big as the van and he had both full because he was delivering to someone else in 24 on the same trip. We had to work out cubic feet to calculate what would fit.

Hoddy

Hi there,

I really doubt that you will find a one way rental, I spent some time looking in my area. Just think about the logistics, where would you drop it off? How many outlets in your area in France for the company? It just wouldn't work, which is probably why there are no one way rentals.

Looks like my mates are driving for me (no payment) it gives them a chance to load up on beer for xmas! That's whats in it for them!  This means not having to come all the way back and then catching flight back to France.

Regards,

Bob

Think about it. If you are in the business of hiring out vehicles then the only way that you can avoid losing money on one way hires is to have roughly the same number of customers who are wanting to go from point A to point B as there are going from B to A.

Not very likely is it in this scenario.

Mind if I add my own question to this forum as I am not sure which one to use.

We are thinking of moving over in the new year, for logistics reasons we shall probably hire a van ourselves and make the journey.  What do we have to do to get all our furniture through customs without having to pay import tax or the likes (if applicable).  Would appreciate some help on this matter.

[quote]Mind if I add my own question to this forum as I am not sure which one to use. We are thinking of moving over in the new year, for logistics reasons we shall probably hire a van ourselves and make th...[/quote]

Provided you travel with the furniture and it looks used / not immaculate ir will sail past customs. Otherwise do a full list with sizes and dates of purchase and it should go throug wtihn no problems

Anton Redman ( still having gender realignemnt )

[quote]Provided you travel with the furniture and it looks used / not immaculate ir will sail past customs. Otherwise do a full list with sizes and dates of purchase and it should go throug wtihn no problems...[/quote]

Re comment about import taxes - does this mean that if you buy something new in the UK and take it to France you may be liable for import tax? Is this actually applicable between EU countries? I'm asking because I'm about to take a trailer load of stuff over - including some new bits and I don't really want any more expense. I can't remember anyone mentioning about import tax before.  

Hi!

I was the original person who used Alec and live in Essex as he does. He has a van and trailer and if you have lots of household belongings you should count on Alec doing more than one load for you. Even at 2 loads, he is still cheaper than other companies. You have to bear in mind too that if you are taking boxes of books these will weigh heavy. Also you would not believe the number of people who want to take myriads of garden planted pots! So think of the weight as well as the volume as his van and trailer will only take so much!

Cheers

Athene