Re: Help needed with found kitten

Christine Animal

[quote user="Puzzled"]

I will put it in the bathroom when we go to bed and hope that it as we can get come sleep!

[/quote]

I'm not sure you'll get away with that! I once had a cat who hated being left alone when she was a kitten. In the end I had her with me at night and she used to lie across my neck to sleep. Looking back I'm not sure how I ever managed to sleep like that.

I would definitely keep the dogs away from her. She is much too small to defend herself.

Let us know how you get on.

We had a similar problem in August when we found three kittens about 3-4 weeks old which had been abandoned under a bush in our garden.  We were lucky in that our Mairie has an arrangement with SPA, so we were able to take them in to the office and they were collected the same day. I had only been feeding them with a bottle (they couldn't lap) for a couple of days - they were quite a handful. [:D]

There are lots of feral cats in the fields around our house and I suppose it was only a matter of time before they decided our outhouses were a good place to have a family.  We had not been in August before, so it is hard to say how many times this has happened before.  We think that the noise of our arrival and general comings and goings frightened the mother cat away.  I think that she brought the kittens out of the buildings and put them under the bush for us to find as there was no indication that they had been there long.

How big are your dogs?  Do you have a large dog cage.  Not suggesting you put the dogs in there, but put kitty in there at night or when you go out when the dogs are around, perhaps with a warm hot water bottle(as ChristineAnimal suggests), litter tray and food bowl.  Maybe even make a bed for her out of one of your old shirts or something as kitty obviously things you are "mum" now.    Sounds like your dogs might, as you say, just be curious, but might pay to be cautious.  Mind you, I would have thought they would have gone for it by now if they had really wanted to. 

Do you have a photo of the kitty you can post?

Jan

I tried putting our rescue kitten into the large dog cage we use for transporting our cats between the UK and France.  All fine until she escaped.  I couldn't work out how until I realised she just walked straight between the bars.  She was three to four weeks old when a friend rescued her having found her sitting under a large thistle plant on a makeshift traffic island in their village in Spain.  Until the day before we picked her up and brought her to France she was being fed by having baby milk syringed into her throat.  Within two days she was happily ignoring "kitten" food and tackling anything in the biggers cats' dishes.  She lived in my furry hat with a little wheat teddy for warmth and her litter tray was a single portion lasagne tray.   They are amazingly resilient and despite being smallish for her age she is completely fearless!

Ths is her aged about five weeks, already far bigger than when we first got her.

[IMG]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l360/janlawther/golly3ab.jpg[/IMG]

Lovely story puzzled, I cna picture the poor wee thing!  It sounds to me like the dogs are interested not hostile, I know mine would be curious and playful if a kittten turned up, you just have to watch how playful they become!

I would also love to see a picture.  Well done for taking it on, must be like having a new born baby!

She's a  beauty!  Ours was a mish mash of colours when she arrived, apparently black but a very dark tabby when the light was on her and with two faint white stripes along the spine.  She is now extremely shiny and sleek - and pure black.  Cats are such little trouble that I suspect the decision is made for you!

At the moment we are trying to resist the dubious charms of this strange creature.  She obviously has a home but thinks ours is much nicer.  She's not hungry, is clean and well-fed and just seems to crave human company.  This is her at the kitchen window late one night.  Our two cats are not impressed.

[IMG]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l360/janlawther/Letmein.jpg[/IMG]

Oh My..It is the image of my little cat that I left with my son when we came here to live as she was more his cat than mine as he always let her sleep in his bedroom before he left home and she was the first one he spoke to when he visited us.  She was 13 yrs then and I would have brought her with us but we had to live for three weeks in our caravan prior to sailing and then into rented accommodation. My son and his partner wanted her and she was with them for quite a while before she passed away. She was so tiny and everyone thought she was a kitten and we called her Cepha ( C for Cat )