stopping a kitten peeing on the couch?

dave21478

Last year, a cat randomly turned up and refused to leave. Left with no option, I adopted it. A few months back, she disappeared for a few weeks, then returned with 1 single wee female kitten.

This kitten has now grown up a bit, and refuses to leave too, so, left with no option, I have adopted it as well.[blink]

After two false starts involving jobbies in the sofa, it got the hang of the litter box no problem, but every now and then for no apparent reason, it has a whizz on the sofa.

If I see it squatting, I grab "The Punisher" - an old trigger spray bottle filled with water. A single squirt works wonders for deterring the cats from doing something they shouldnt, but the kitten still uses the sofa every now and then, despite the punishment.

What can I do to stop this? The litter in the tray is changed often, and they have no qualms about using the box, the couch seems to be used for other reasons.

[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc297/dave21478/DSC00008Medium.jpg[/IMG]

By the way - its currently The Cat With No Name. Im rubbish with names - any sensible suggestions?

Hello

I have the same problem with my 21 year old cat, she has regressed it would seem and has started peeing randomly, I too want a way of deterring her so will try the citron thing mentioned, anymore suggestions?

I laughed at the name Tiddles as suggested by S17, seems appropriate!

Panda

You could try covering the sofa with an old sheet sprinkled with ground pepper. It can be removed & shook out if you want to sit down, saving hoovering & should protect if there's a little accident during the sneezing.

My mother tried this after one of her kittens kept overturning & emptying the kitchen bin, which never had food in it anyway as that always goes to the birds, but was a nuisance to clear up. It only took a couple of times before the kitten moved on to climbing the curtains...

As for a name, well, given the rather gorgeous photo, how about Potter?!

[quote user="Panda"]

I have the same problem with my 21 year old cat, she has regressed it would seem and has started peeing randomly

[/quote]

Hi Panda,

I believe older cats can be susceptible to kidney infections. Might that be part of the problem? Great age though!

Or her joints hurt when she moves so she pees wherever convenient - especially if holding it hurts.

I think it's likely to be kidney problems too. I did have a cat who developed kidney problems and she would pee several times between sofa and her litter tray - which was just a few metres away.

I think it was from discomfort or perhaps incontinence but either way, it wasn't her fault or something she could control.

If you discuss with a vet, a change to a (very restricted) tinned diet with prescription food may help for a while. Trouble with that is, if the cat hates the food (mine did) it will lose condition because it isn't eating enough.

Yes,I thought along the same lines, I took her to the vets yesterday and she is on Hill's bladder diet now, she does seem to like it so far but it was 2.30 a tin from the vet, I'm hoping to find it cheaper on line somewhere.  He also gave her an anti-biotic jab just in case of infection although she is peeing in some volume not just a little pee here and there!  So I think it could be dementure of some sorts rather than an infection but we agreed to make sure in case she is any discomfort. 

She is very agile and can sill leap on the worktop from the floor in the kitchen when there is something like prawns defrosting so no problem with joints yet thank goodness.  She looks really well in fact someone asked me whilst at the vets if she was young, she looks as she did 20 years ago, I wish the same could be said of me![:D]

My daughter in Oz had the same problem with one of her cats. She solved it by blowing up ballons and leaving them on the sofa when no one was sitting there. Cat hated them so avoided it. Easy to take off when in use and put back when empty!

Good luck

Are you sure the kitten is female?  And has it reached the magic age of 5-6 months?    We had a male kitten that started peeing on one of the beds despite being clean in every other way.  The vet told us it was time for the snip (we had thought it was too young to be done yet) as this was a territorial thing, and the op solved the problem virtually overnight.

Chrissie (81) 

[quote user="Just Katie"]Throw it into the garden and never allow it back into your home again otherwise it will stink.[/quote]

Well, this is the chosen solution.

As well as pissing on the sofa, it has decided that 2am is a good time to go outside, drag a live loire into the living room, have a noisy fight with it, eat half of it, and leave the dismembered remains and guts strewn across the floor. Then vomit or crap (or both) on the floor next to the remains for good measure. It has done this a few times now.

So, it remains The Cat With No Name, and it stays outside from now on. Just in time for winter too.

We had reached a usefull compromise. Now that temperatures are dropping, I have taken to shutting the window they used to go in and out, so they were either in or out all night (their choice). This meant the kitten couldnt bring in its catches.

Sadly, both cats have disappeared and havent been seen for several days. There are guests in the gite with a nippy wee yap-dog and a big fat hissy cat so I suspect they have been scared off.

I hope they come back.[blink]