Identity crisis?

Rob Roy

I have just come across my 5 month old MALE kitten 'fostering' his 5 little cousins of  approx 12 weeks whilst they 'suckle'. [8-)] Anyone heard of anything like this before? Meanwhile the younger kittens mother is curled up contentedly sleeping - she has just about stopped feeding them now.

You are of course, very very sure it is a MALE kitten? My current cat was given to me as a boy, and it was discovered a few months later that she is a girl and had always been. Everyone just assumed it was a he, as she is ginger and white - unusual to have females with that colouring.

[quote user="5-element"] ginger and white - unusual to have females with that colouring.[/quote]

I had a conversation some time ago with someone who was sure that ginger cats were male. I had personally never heard of that and in fact my neighbour's cat at the time was ginger and was very definately female.

[quote user="5-element"]WB shame on you, you should know better than that. Being gay is not about pretending to be the other gender.[blink][/quote]

We Bananas know no shame! And who send 'pretending?' I have seen sheep, goats, cattle assume the other gender so why not a ginger kitten. Of course he could just be discovering his soft and caring side but I rather doubt it. It may be of course that he is trying to get the lady cat to think he is a caring and sharing sort of chap who would never put a foot wrong, in order to lull her into a sense of security and to have his wicked way with her. If she is curled up with a smile on her face, then the deed is done, perhaps.

WB, there you go, I knew you could be trusted to come up with much better theories. I like the idea of him exploring his anima.

Another ginger female cat? I wonder what the likelihood is. Mine is also partly angora, has a very bushy tail like a red squirrel, and her underside is all white.

Sorry OP, this does nothing to help you resolve the mystery.

[:$][:$][:$]  I had decided to have another check as to sex of kitten, and I'm really embarrassed to say that I was wrong - 'he' is a 'she' [:-))] I could have sworn it was a male kitten, but must admit this was when it was much younger, and perhaps should have guessed as the other one of the litter I still have, who is definately male, is much bigger. Sorry, everyone, for the confusion![blink]

Sorry to spoil your fun, Wooly!

5-element, many thanks - I like to think I can admit when I'm wrong![:)]. There's plenty of fun around here with all the kittens, especially when you open the door and one sneaks in, so you pick it up to put it out and as you open the door to do that another one skitters past you - it's sometimes like a relay race! Free kitten anyone?  

That is just it 5E, they don't. It is very rare for the ginger gene to manifest itself in a female as it is for the tortoiseshell to manifest in a male.  I have been told that ginger females are sterile.  I spoke about this on the forum some time ago and many other members knew this too.  I think if you google, you will find more info.  If anyone disagrees with me, I would be interested as I would not bet my mortgage on it 

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Rob Roy, it's a while now you post about different litters of kittens.  Is there a reason why you don't get you cat spayed?  

[/quote]

We had a cat who had a litter of kittens last year and on the vet's advice was going to get her spayed after she finished feeding them (to allow mammary glands to shrink back). Before that happened she got pregnant again. I kept two of the second litter as couldn't find homes for them and was giving all three cats the contraceptive pill. Unfortunately earlier this year I had to go to the UK due to a family bereavement and in all the unheaval of rushing off I forgot to give OH instructions re. the cats and their pills.  The two daughters both got pregnant, one had three kittens and one, unfortunately, produced 5. I did ask OH if we should dispose of them at birth, but as neither of us would be able to 'do the deed' they are still with us. At the moment I would happily rehome the youngsters, but having no luck so far apart from one.

I know it would be best to get the females spayed, but we have had other vets bills to deal with recently (for our dogs), as well as moving house, and there is not a bottomless pit of money unfortunately so it's cheaper to buy the pill.

[quote user="5-element"]

Ahhhh I knew it, I  knew it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is so nice to be right, just occasionally.

Rob, I hope you will have lots of fun and joy with your she-kitten. Thanks for overcoming embarrassment and coming clean with this.[:D]

[/quote]

Unfortunately my little Tiger (the he/she kitten) got run over this evening; my husband found her on the road just outside our gate as he was taking the dogs for a walk[:(]. There was not a mark on her, just a trickle of blood from her mouth and I think it had not happened long as rigor mortis had not set in, and I had seen her a little while before.