When should male cat be neutered?

Llantony

We've been adopted by a French cat and, now that we have brought our cat from UK, there are problems as he keeps attacking.  Original cat is 9 and a bit of a wuss but he's had enough.

We thought new cat might calm down when neutered.  Problem is don't know his exact age.  I'd guess 4-6 months now.  Vet says wait till he's 6 months as far as we know - when he starts spraying around!  I seem to remember having cats done at 5 months before.

Any thoughts on this or on how to stop the fighting - we have booked a cattery as are going away for 2 weeks in December and they only have 1 pen left!

By the sounds of it the french cat was with you before you brought your own cat over, in which case the french cat sees your home as his territory and wants to get rid of your cat.  I used to work in a vets and we always advised not getting the males or females neutured until at least 6 months.  I have 9 cats at the moment and there is always friction when you introduce a new cat but they soon settle down and either stick up for themselves or keep out of the way of the troublesome cat.  Sometimes they do settle down when neutured but he will probably always have a fiesty nature.  I don't think they should share a pen though as you will have a very traumatised cat when you return from your trip! 

You can have a male cat neutered as soon as both testicles have descended, that is usually about 6 months ( if he's very feisty you might want to let the vet check rather than have a go yourself[:-))] ) I don't know whether you can get a Feliway diffuser? It's like a plug in air freshner but with cat pheremones (spelling?) to calm them down, but I do agree with Louis about the shared pen, not a great idea. We had a new cat join an established pair and although they came to tolerate each other, when we went away she always had a separate pen!

Please Llantony - Leave As Long As Possible - for the long-term health of the young cat.

Male cats that are neutered too soon can develop urinary problems later on - sometimes as early as 4 or 5 years....this is because if they neutered too soon the bladder pipework system is not developed properly; if the cat then develops crystals in its urine - which is quite common - then because the urinary system is under-developed, these crystals can cause blockage and subsequent extremely painful and sometimes fatal problems.

I'm speaking from personal experience of a rescue cat we had, neutered too soon (by the Rescue Shelter), who developed urinary problems. He died an extremely painful and sad death - and we were told it was because he had been neutered at too young an age.

We have been 'adopted' by young male cat (had been left by feral mum!) - and were able to delay having him 'sorted' until he was 10 months without any 'spray' or 'smell' problems at all - so it might be possible for you to delay the 'snip' for a while yet. And if you can delay - then please, please do so.

Regards - Chessie

Oh dear.  I was aware neutered male cats are prone to kidney problems in later life.  One we had was 15.  Not aware it was connected to early snips.  Trouble is, we were hoping the op. would calm him down a bit.  He keeps attacking our 9 yr old and we have to separate them all the time.  If it doesn't improve we might have to get rid of young one and there isn't exactly a shortage of cats for adoption.