Super commuters v Education system

CeeJay

I have just read the perfectly reasonable posting on 'super commuters' which I have no doubt is of very great interest to a lot of people. But, dear reader, what happened............the thread ended up, so far, with about two pages of the rights and wrongs of the English and French education system. To me this is nonsense and I think puts off Forum members when they can see that the topic goes on and on and on and eventually deteriorates.

Quote: But, dear reader, what happened............the thread ended up, so far, with about two pages of the rights and wrongs of the English and French education system. To me this is nonsense and I think puts off Forum members when they can see that the topic goes on and on and on and eventually deteriorates.

Unfortunately Ceejay this happens with a lot of posts. The topic will start with one particular subject and then degenerate into something else entirely,

There are forum moderators but they cannot be there 24/7 to ensure that the topic stays true to its subject.

[quote]Quite right, and as one of the guilty parties,I apologize. We should have carried on that discussion elsewhere.[/quote]

It is considerate of you to apologise.

At risk of sounding anti-progress, this is a problem generated by the new software. When it happened in the past, the thread indicated visually where deviations were occuring and you could zoom past them.

At risk also of doing what Ceejay is complaining of, I do not think the layout of this new software is an improvement.

We certainly don't regard going off-topic as a crime, although I do seem to remember that when the current code of conduct was introduced some users were worried that they might get censored or banned for not keeping strictly to the subject. Indeed, many of the most interesting and amusing discussions start like this.

When the forum software problems are sorted out it should be possible for us to move posts to another thread (we can only do this to a very limited extent at present due to script errors occurring), which might be an option worth considering in situations like this. But I agree with Gay that I'd rather see the users acting for themselves rather than expecting us to impose restrictions.