Dog eats rabbits..How do you stop it ?

Frederick

Ok you dog experts how do you stop this one .....No comments about shot guns please ! My son is loking after a springer spanial his  owner is overseas for a few weeks  Sons place surrounded by rabbits loads of them....dog goes for them on sight corners them .grabs them crunches them up and down they go fur bones the lot.... Sight of upsets the daughter in law who cant get the dog to give up its kill which it has to eat ASAP....I have suggested a water pistol and give it a face full..but they have 3 acres so it will just run off and scoff the rabbit down before they could get to it  ...any ideas ? My son said you cant get it off him ...he wont give them up .This is a rescue dog that normally lives in town ...he is now on holiday in rabbit heaven !

I'm afraid he will either have to put up with it or separate the dog from the rabbits any way he can e.g. keep in the house/shed, chain it up, its just instinct and I doubt if you will stop it now!

Can he send it round to my house as I could do with a few less bunnies!

Thanks Christine ...You are right it is going to have to be a muzzle I think ...The dog normally plays well with their lab and they have the free run of the place together so it would be a shame to sepperate them ...and taking them out one at a time would be a pain .......As you say Jacqui...instinct ..its not a young dog so too late to do anything now I suppose ...

I wrote an earlier post about a mad springer that lived with me for 12 years.

Once the spaniel decides he is going to do something he will.

Good luck with a muzzle he'll probably rip it off!

if he is going to catch and maim (sp?) a rabbit- I would think it is better (for the rabbit at least) to let the dog quickly kill it and eat it. surely better than releasing it injured and suffer a long death?

by the way, are rabbit bones dangerous for dogs? and what happens if it gets a mixo?

[quote user="odile"]if he is going to catch and maim (sp?) a rabbit- I would think it is better (for the rabbit at least) to let the dog quickly kill it and eat it. surely better than releasing it injured and suffer a long death?

by the way, are rabbit bones dangerous for dogs? and what happens if it gets a mixo?
[/quote]

Dogs don't get miximatosis.

Though they can still be mad I can vouch for that!

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="odile"] by the way, are rabbit bones dangerous for dogs? and what happens if it gets a mixo?

[/quote]

Cooked bones are a death sentence to dogs, as they are dry and brittle. Dogs do, on the other hand, thrive off raw bones, which are still maleable and soft. Our border collie thrives off lamb bones, chicken bones and good beef marrow bones ... mmmm, yum!