Rabies jabs

connolls

Hi,

Just been looking at some of the FAQS about the rabies jabs, my dog has had his jabs since 2006 with his subsequent boosters given while we have been in the uk.On his last booster the vet said that he was not due for further booster for 3 years now as the law has changed (his will be due Jan 2011).

We are coming back to france for three months (with the dog)  I wonder if can someone can clarify the position about "a requirement for a yearly jab" if you are staying in france for more than a few weeks ???????Thanks for any information. Mel.

Hmm.  The rabies booser is due on the date the vet' has entered in your passport.  Here in France it is an annual requirement, for instance  and thus the due date is always shown as 12 months hence.  So if you tried to travel to the UK after the 12 months were up, afaik, you would not be allowed in with your pet.  However, if your vet' in the UK has entered the due date as 3 years' hence, then you will be fine.

Post edited.

Mel, it doesn't sound as if the dog is usually with you in France?

If the animal is visiting France for 3 months or less, it isn't considered "resident" in France and therefore doesn't fall under the annual rabies jab regime. Your dog will be fine to re-enter the UK on the basis of its 3 year rabies jab validity providing the date is correct / hasn't expired in the passport because at that point (re-entry to the UK) it's DEFRA's rules that matter.

I doubt you'll have any problems - I think the "dog residency" is really attached to the owner's residency and if you are in France for what...? four months and then plan to go back, you (and therefore the dog) will not be permanent residents and I don't think French officialdom will be knocking on your door demanding you move your temporarily resident dog onto yearly jabs just cos you're there longer than the stated 3 months. And you will be okay going back into the UK because you will be following DEFRA's rules and providing the passport is in date by UK standards, there will be no problem.

Anyway, you would not necessarily be successful in persuading a French vet to move an animal on to yearly jabs when their UK-issued passport is still in date.When I imported two cats in 2005, the UK-administered vaccine was valid for 2 years and this was entered into their UK-issued passport. Two different French vets refused to re-vaccinate the cats after one year - even with the cats in front of them in the consulting room cowering in their basket - the cats only passed to the French annual regime when the two years noted in the passport were up.