Rattus Norvegicus

Frederick

I have put this is pets as it seems I have now got one ...About as big as they get ...a brown rat ...He sits under our bird feeder along with blackbirds  ...robins .pidgeons  anything quite happy in middle of the day eating dropped seed ......Mrs F wants rid as of yesturday !  What I need to know is .how well do the sticky pads work anybody tried them ?..I have his run along the back of  my garage plotted out under and behind a climber so I dont think any birds would get trapped on the pad . I think the sticky pads will be the fasted way to get the little ******* I have only seen the one  but no doubt his mates are not far away ...The rentakill wheat I put out in a bowl and he took  the bowl  as well ! so time for the heavy  artillary !

[quote user="Frederick"] ...The rentakill wheat I put out [/quote]

Am I alone in thinking this is not the best idea? Or, having just lost a beautiful 3 year old cat to poison, am I being super-sensitive?[8-)]

No, you're not being super-sensitive, Jo.

On forums, I regularly recommend...

http://www.eradibait.com/

Not cheap, hadn't used to ship to France so French residents would need it shipped to family or friends in the UK and have it brought over or shipped on but it only affects rodents and doesn't insinuate itself into the food chain, killing anything that predates the rodents that have eaten it.

Or for a small infestation / regular control, use something like the Ratzapper (and there are cheaper alternatives but ours is still going strong after 5 years) and it is very effective:

http://www.ratzapper.org/

Placed in line with a rodent run and baited, it works well.

The glue trap idea seems indiscriminate and unless the trapper is willing to check frequently and to dispatch the animal effectively with extreme predjudice asap, it reads as a cruel method of pest control.

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

[:@]    Glue Traps   [6]   [6]   [6]

[/quote]

Mmmmm ...... Kind have gone off  the idea of glue traps now ...Thanks for the link Christine .I dont encourage birds into the garden to risk trapping them .Cats  cant get at the poisoned wheat .its under a slab on the rats run...My wife is a cat lover . I would not dare put one at risk of getting to the poison !

The rat  has found and is taking it so I now hope  I soon do not have a rat problem .... I have never seen rats in my garden before and have been here 20 years .It just shows how numbers have grown and  how feeding the birds with seed can give you a  visitor that decides to hang around and live off  your  bird table .  One of my heighbours has a horse ...I now wonder how many might be resident  under her stable or under the field shelter . 

Chris..... For your  information a week of feeding Roland with Rentakill fast acting wheat poison had no effect    An old fashioned spring trap and peanut butter was the answer in the end ..Roland is now a gonner !

I  spoke to a friend who goes beating and he told me they are everywhere .They run between their legs when they are out beating ...so the saying  "Wherever you are you are only a few feet away from a rat must be true " 

That Ratzapper looks like it could just be the thing I need.

I've set mechanical rat traps in the barns with good success but in the house it is a mouse problem and like others, I don't want to lay poison or use glue.

Some 'born again Hippies' I know were appaled at the thought of me killing rodents and were insistant that I should use 'Humane' traps then take the little darlings out into the wild where they could frolic with their furry friends.

Yeah so what happens if I catch a mouse and don't visit the house for 2 or 3 weeks? They really thought that one through didn't they.

A quick Zap is preferable to a long slow death methinks.