Laws on Dog Control?

Winegum

[quote user="Winegum"]Hey, my 10K time would still have been awful! First long run after 3 months of winter, and I'm SO out of shape. [/quote]

Good grief - you can actually run 10km? Well done you, I don't come anywhere near that. And as for being out of shape, the less said about that the better, as I have acquired 3.5 extra kilos that have appeared over the winter. That might not sound much but I am tiny and they have to go before the swimming season starts in about 6 weeks, and I am rubbish at losing weight.

[quote user="Jo"]Would it help if you kept a few dog treats to hand

out/throw to any dog chasing you?[/quote]

Now that is a seriously nifty idea; unless they decide to follow you home in the hope of receiving more.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Polly"]Why run anyway? [/quote]

Because I find it really sets me up for the day.

[quote user="Polly"]

You miss the gentle pleasures of looking at the countryside and really seeing things. [/quote]

I find - being small - that I can see a lot better from my bike. If I haven't got much shopping to do then I ride my bike into the local town instead of taking the car. There is only so much you can pack into a front basket and a small rucksack, so it isn't always practical.

[quote user="Polly"]

Is this why joggers always look miserable?

[/quote] I don't know, perhaps really serious runners are concentrating hard or else they run serious distances ie Eddie Izzard who seemed to push himself to the limit and beyond last year for Sport's Relief.

Polly said: 'Why run anyway?' Well I started about 20 years ago, just to keep fit and lose weight. Then it became addictive. If I don't go I end up feeling like a slug, and get quite irritable. Running brings in new and invigorating energy for me and makes me feel fantastic. I agree you don't see the countryside in detail - although yesterday when I struggled slowly up a hill I did see a wonderful long-tailed fieldmouse. But I have other hobbies - like photography where I study all the flora and fauna in detail. I also run because at 62 I want to continue keeping fit so I can enjoy life to a ripe old age. I tend to believe: 'If you don't use it you lose it!'

Sue said: 'I have acquired 3.5 extra kilos that have appeared over the winter'. I know just how you feel. The winter was so long and wet and cold that I didn't run at all. I was glued to my computer trying to finish a novel, and grew a great spare tyre! Hate it! But at least I finished the book and am just editing the last chapter - Hooray!

Carrying dog treats - Hmm! Yesterday I'd have had to have fed six dogs! Not too sure if hefting a couple of bickies over my shoulder would have dissuaded the big dogs from coming after me. Currently I've taken some advice from a dog-lover friend who advocates: no touch, no talk, no eye contact. And stop running because they think you're 'prey'. (praying more like!). I mean do I look like a flaming rabbit? I suppose it's similar to walking through a field of cows - if you run they run after you, but cows do it because they're nosy.

Maybe if I run the same route enough they'll all get bored with me!

[quote user="Polly"]Why does the winter being cold & wet stop you running?[/quote]

Because it can be to d**n cold and miserable; I'm retired therefore supposed to be able to enjoy myself and not feel forced into doing something painful.

[quote user="Polly"]I walk every day whatever the weather, and I haven't put on any weight for years![/quote]

My OH and I walk a lot in the winter too - 'cos you can wrap up really warm and toasty - and walking along the beach watching the crashing waves is a joy in itself BUT that itself doesn't use up enough calories so I put on weight.

[quote user="Polly"]And you still haven't told me why runners look so mis.[/quote]

I thought I had had a go at that.

You didn't really explain why the average jogger who isn't Eddie Izzard or training for London 2012 looks so mis!

I wish all you runners & joggers well but please don't come up behind me and my dogs when we're out for a walk then complain that they run across in front of you or bark or jump. If I hear or see you (and cyclists please take note too) I'll call the dogs to me and keep them close as you pass. If I don't know you're coming and you insist on tearing pass at top speed you've only got yourselves to blame. I'm not worried, my dogs won't bite you, but I can't vouch for every other dog in the world.

[quote user="Polly"]I wish all you runners & joggers well but please don't come up behind me and my dogs when we're out for a walk then complain that they run across in front of you or bark or jump. If I don't know you're coming and you insist on tearing pass at top speed you've only got yourselves to blame. [/quote]

Good grief where on earth do you live? Apart from the fact that I cannot tear pass anyone at top speed - totally beyond my capabilities - and as I don't meet anyone whilst out on my jog except for a few dogs ... who run along the inside of their walled boundaries accompanying me until they run out of wall/fence. And I don't look miserable, as I am happy to be here doing what I am doing, but I cannot speak for anyone else of course.

Polly said:

Why does the winter being cold & wet stop you running? I walk every

day whatever the weather, and I haven't put on any weight for years!

And you still haven't told me why runners look so mis

Ah Polly, you must be one of the lucky ones! Unlike me you obviously possess great self-discipline and an excellent metabolism. I'm a wimp, and dislike thrashing my lungs running in icy wind - because it makes me wheeze. In winter I slide into eating things like home-made steak and kidney pie, and steamed treacle pudding and custard; and then I watch the rain belting across the valley and enjoy writing my book - which inevitably means growing a spare tyre. A simple case of energy in and not a lot of energy out! It takes all sorts. Like Sue I'm retired and only do what I want to do, when I want to do it.

I've never noticed runners looking miserable! Concentrated maybe, even determined or possibly in pain - but not miserable. Possibly if you watch sport you'll notice that most athletes or competitors tend to have serious, concentrated expressions. They're usually pitting themselves against something and rising to a challenge. Some of us need that sort of a challenge - even if it's just getting a better time when running a distance.

If you seriously want to know the answers to your questions try running 10K - when it's below freezing!

I'm inclined to agree with you, Polly, that runners are more likely to alarm dogs than walkers. I too go for a walk with the dog every day, rain or shine (I've still managed to put on a couple of kilos over the winter.)We pass many houses with dogs unrestrained, and most of them just bark and then go away. The only exception is the german shepherd I mentioned earlier, and now I avoid passing that house.

As someone said , if I missed this activity I would soon go into a decline.

I should add that we have also been on the other side of the situation - we used to live on the route of St Jacques de Compostelle. At the time we had a male border collie who chased the pilgrims, then encircled them so they couldn't move. We had to install a fence around our land so that the pilgrims could walk in peace.

I agree, Christine, owning/borrowing/caring for dogs is brilliant for your physical and mental health!

Regular walkies are good for the heart, circulation problems and weight loss/maintenance PLUS are low-stress on the knees compared to running. There's no need for any expensive kit either, just get dressed for the weather and wear comfy shoes.

Dogs give you a reason for not doing much housework

Dogs give you good company and reduce stress levels generally

If you are worried about caring for a dog for life, over many years, why not puppywalk for one of the assistance dog organisations in the UK or in France?

That way you get all the health benefits PLUS you are helping others less fortunate than you

[quote user="Polly"]I agree, Christine, owning/borrowing/caring for dogs is brilliant for your physical and mental health!

Regular walkies are good for the heart, circulation problems and weight loss/maintenance PLUS are low-stress on the knees compared to running. There's no need for any expensive kit either, just get dressed for the weather and wear comfy shoes.

Dogs give you a reason for not doing much housework

Dogs give you good company and reduce stress levels generally

If you are worried about caring for a dog for life, over many years, why not puppywalk for one of the assistance dog organisations in the UK or in France?

That way you get all the health benefits PLUS you are helping others less fortunate than you

[/quote]

If you think that having a dog is good for health benefits then think again. I would not think that you burn many calories picking up dog muck from your garden and it is possible to walk without a dog.

This world is dominated by humans and roads and paths were built for humans, so dogs come second in my view. If I drive past on my motorbike and a dog runs out then a swift kick will dispatch the animal back to where it came from.

[quote user="Polly"]

I wish all you runners & joggers well but please don't come up behind me and my dogs when we're out for a walk then complain that they run across in front of you or bark or jump. If I hear or see you (and cyclists please take note too) I'll call the dogs to me and keep them close as you pass. If I don't know you're coming and you insist on tearing pass at top speed you've only got yourselves to blame. [/quote]

Aren't dogs supposed to be on a lead in a public place ie on a pavement or in a park?

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="Polly"]

I wish all you runners & joggers well but please don't come up behind me and my dogs when we're out for a walk then complain that they run across in front of you or bark or jump. If I hear or see you (and cyclists please take note too) I'll call the dogs to me and keep them close as you pass. If I don't know you're coming and you insist on tearing pass at top speed you've only got yourselves to blame. [/quote]

Aren't dogs supposed to be on a lead in a public place ie on a pavement or in a park?

[/quote]

Pavements? Public parks? In the French countryside?

If dogs are on a long training lead, and the owner doesn't know someone is coming up on a bike, and the bike gets tangled in the lead.....?

The French Code de la Route requires all bicycles to be equipped with an 'avertisseur' ie a bell or hooter which can be heard at least 50m away:

Tout cycle doit être muni d’un appareil avertisseur constitué par un timbre ou un grelot dont le son peut être entendu à 50 mètres au moins. L’emploi de tout autre signal sonore est interdit. R313-33 du Code de la Route.

Pity too few are equipped, and on those that are the means of operation often appears to be faulty.

Bob T24 if you come past me on a footpath on a motorbike where motor vehicles are banned I'll take your number and a photo and report you to the local gendarmerie.

Research has shown that dogs can also help reduce stress and blood pressure in owners, increase longevity in those who've had heart attacks, and even relax and improve the appetites of Alzheimer's patients. If you've ever seen 'pets as therapy' dogs  in action in care homes, special schools or hospitals you would understand that. You only have to see the pleasure owning and caring for a dog (or even a cat) gives to those living alone to appreciate the benefits.

Who said that I ride where motor vehicles are banned?

Winegum runs on a public road where loose dogs are not allowed, that is what this thread is about. Dog owners who cannot be bothered to control their mutts, should have them destroyed.

Mimi - Thank you! I have just checked out the dazer website. This gadget looks perfect. It apparently repels aggressive dogs but doesn't hurt them. A superb suggestion. It's something I could use while running, and it would be great because I wouldn't have to stop and spoil my target running time. I've no wish to hurt any animal, but just find being chased very nerve racking. Many years ago I was once bitten in the back of the leg by a collie - who I didn't even realise had come up behind me. In his case I know it's bred into them to nip at the heels of sheep - but I guess he didn't have his glasses on that day!

As a general comment I feel quite sad that this thread has dissolved into an 'us and them' issue, ie 'runners v dog owners'. I wanted some advice for a specific situation. I wasn't criticising all dogs or their owners. Dogs are wonderful companions and do amazing things - you only have to see some of them on Crufts this week - which I love watching. However, it would appear some people have taken my request for advice on this specific issue as a personal attack on all dogs and dog-lovers, which it was never meant to be. Whether we are runners, cyclists, or walkers with dogs, we all have a right to use the public highway, and we should do so in a safe and courteous manner, with care, consideration, and respect for all other users.

[quote user="Winegum"] However, it would appear some people have taken my request for advice on this specific issue as a personal attack on all dogs and dog-lovers, which it was never meant to be. Whether we are runners, cyclists, or walkers with dogs, we all have a right to use the public highway, and we should do so in a safe and courteous manner, with care, consideration, and respect for all other users.
[/quote]

Which people Winegum?

[quote user="Winegum"]

As a general comment I feel quite sad that this thread has dissolved into an 'us and them' issue, ie 'runners v dog owners'. I wanted some advice for a specific situation. I wasn't criticising all dogs or their owners. Dogs are wonderful companions and do amazing things - you only have to see some of them on Crufts this week - which I love watching. However, it would appear some people have taken my request for advice on this specific issue as a personal attack on all dogs and dog-lovers, which it was never meant to be. Whether we are runners, cyclists, or walkers with dogs, we all have a right to use the public highway, and we should do so in a safe and courteous manner, with care, consideration, and respect for all other users.

[/quote]

and there was me thinking all we'd had was a bit of good old-fashioned thread drift!

Winegum, if you are going to buy one then try ebay USA, they are much cheaper even taking into account the postage. I bought mine because one of my 'girls' likes a good scrap if we get 'accosted' on our walks. They do work.