Returning to UK Vet Charges Going Up

M

Our Dalmatian has travelled to/from France 2 or 3 times a year over the past 6 years. The last time we visited the vet the charge for getting her passport signed etc was 48 euros. This seems extortionate to me. I am interested to know how much is everyone else paying. Also if you know a vet near Chataigneraie/Chantonnay (85) which is cheaper?

Many Thanks

Emma

I agree money for old rope, well actually for the worming and defleaing treatment but still, far too high.  I was charged a similar fee in the Charente so can't help on fiounding an alternative but what's really needed is a vet that will allow you to take along your own flea and worm treatment and only charge for seeing that it's done.  I think 15-20 euro is a fair price, otherwise it's day light robbery.

• 2 months later...

Sorry, disagree.

Well, it costs us nearly 50 euros each time. However, I think it is excellent value for money compared to UK vets. Our UK vet consulatation charge is far higher than the French vets even the numbers are higher without taking in to account that one is in UKP and the other in Euros.

In addition, the UK appointment time is 10 minutes and in France 30 minutes.

The vet does not just give the treatments and sign the passport but also gives her a thorough examination. It was he who first identified a heart problem that we now have under control by medication.

He always explain everything fully - which is far easier within a 30 minute slot than a 10 minute slot.

Paul

We pay about the same price but as with others get a thorough health check from our french vet each time we go.

We think it IS money for old rope but don't really mind paying out the fees if it keeps ours and other peoples pets safe and healthy. We get the joy and are willing to pay the prices.

Mel.

WOW 24 euro's ! What a bargain. I am happy to pay for my dog to be checked & our vet does do a thorough examination, I still think 48 euro a time is expensive.

She already visits the vet in the UK regularly, so we're doubling up. In saying that, it is a price I will pay rather than leaving her at home 3 times a year. The next problem is that we're thinking of getting another dog, Kerching !!

That was a good deal Jaqui for 2 !  I paid 45 for one dog and the vet did not give him a check up, just the flea treatment and the wormer, not sure about the 10 miute/30 minute aspect, perhaps that posters vet was justifying his money, mine has no such qualms. It is a rip off and stand by the money for old rope post.  I certainly dont pay more in the UK for Vets quite the opposite, the rabies jabs alone are a fraction of the cost as they last for so much longer.  Perhaps I should research a new vet in France. 

It's a rediculous requirement IMO anyway, any owner who pays to travel with thier pet will be the sort to ensure they have been deflead and wormed anyway, we should have the option of sticking our own lables to the book as proof, no ver required!

[quote user="Panda"]

That was a good deal Jaqui for 2 !  ...........[/quote]

I use an excellent vet in Thivier, they always check them over, heart, eyes, temp and ask if they are well.

I definitely get 30 mins [:P]

It has gone up year on year though, 4 years ago I paid only €36 for the full works for one dog.