Dog nails.

Jo

Since moving here and walking the dogs across the fields, we have noticed that the nails of our border collie cross have become quite long. I have trimmed them in the past for another dog, but Shauna's are black and I can't see where the quick is.  My problem is who cuts them here? Would a vet be offended to be asked to cut a dog's nails? She is unfortunately terminally ill, ( cancer ) so has already been to the vet here. They are lovely people and I would hate to offend them!

Hi, our vet use to cut our old dogs nails everytime we took her for a visit for her various health problems, I trimmed them but was always worried about cutting them too short. Didn't even ask the first time she just started clipping them, after that she did them whenever needed during a visit.

Thanks for the responses, as long as I know it's something a vet would expect to do that's fine[:)]. Seriously good instructions JK but with her other problems I wouldn't like to stress her out!

Jo,

We do our black lab's every week or so because he is only ever in the woods or on grass. It took a long time to be brave enough with the clippers to take enough off; I have overdone it once or twice! Now he's used to it and just lies there and lets me get on with it but I can see how fighting against a reluctant patient could be stressful.