Dogs - Oral Flee Treatment

Quillan

Young Max is allergic to 'spot on' flee treatments so it has been suggested that we use Capstar and Program for dogs. Capstar apparently starts killing flees within 15 minutes whilst Program is some for of inhibitor which means the flees cannot reproduce. I am just wondering if anyone has used either or both these products and what do they think of them but more importantly are they safe.

Our dog had very a bad flea infestation a couple of years ago (he had been playing with kittens (not ours ..!) who had lots of fleas)

Our vet suggested Capstar and it worked immediately with just one tablet killing all the fleas on the dog but you must also treat the house to kill any fleas and their eggs and larvae.  (we got a spray from the vet for this)  We sprayed his bedding, all the rugs and chairs and settees  in fact eveywhere where the fleas could jump and lay their eggs.....  We have wooden floors so sprayed down the gaps between some of ther boards.  You can also get a "bombe" thing from the vet which does the same job. 

After that regular Frontline treatment (or whichever flea/tick product you prefer)

Obviously if you have more than one pet you must treat them all ...

It worked and no ill effects - no fleas since.

Bernice

I have since read this Coops, so maybe not too good for cats.  I don't see how putting it on their coat can be much better as they can lick themselves.

Cons: It's not a good idea to try it with cats. A cat's ph should be between 6.0 - 6.5. Vinegar is very acidic. Adding vinegar to their diet can lower it below 6.0, causing serious health issues.

But that doesn't mean you can't use vinegar to repel the fleas. Applying it topically will have the same effect. The cats coat will be acidic, and just plain yucky to fleas. They will go away and stay away.

http://www.maine-coon-cat-nation.com/vinegar-kills-fleas.html

Just to report back that the two treatments have worked very well, Max is now a flee free zone along with the rest of the family. I only have to worry about ticks on him not but thats a minor problem as he gets a lot of strokes.