Taking Chickens to France

jusofthewood77

I am moving from Hertfordshire in England to France soon and want to take my five chickens and duck who are family pets only. Can anyone tell me what the current requirements are? Has anyone done it recently? I contacted Defra - but the restrictions and salmonella testing seem to be for groups of 20 chickens - nothing about ducks? It's all a bit confusing! I have read a lot of differing opinions on different websites - some say they had their chickens blood tested - but wish they hadn't as it wasn't necessary........I even contacted my nearest Defra registered vet - who said she was unsure of the requirements for chickens - and could only tell me about cats and dogs!! Is there anyone with recent personal experience please?

http://www.douane.gouv.fr/articles/a11626-voyage-venir-en-france-avec-mon-animal-de-compagnie

A search on google france in french brought this up. At a glance, you are limited to five if you tick the necessary boxes, but frankly I have not read the article just perused.

Also contact the french embassy in London, they have just about every last bit of information about moving to France.

Pierre wrote:

'With the current outbreak of bird flu I would be surprised if any transportation of birds was allowed at all'

I agree with that.

It might depend which part of France you're moving to. In the Gers thousands of ducks have been killed, nearly every commune has suffered.

No poultry of any kind for sale in the markets for ages.