Xmas Turkey

France is not the back of beyond you know - they do sell turkeys at Christmas!!! 

Why not try a French Christmas,  oysters, salmon, roe deer or venison, a sorbet, dessert, cheese and then coffee and liqueurs until about 5 in the morning .... great!

Nathalie

Turkeys are on promo this week at LeClerc.  Super U too.

I would be surprised if you found one that heavy though.  Dinde are normally killed at a maximum of 12 weeks and weigh about 6 kilo full of their bits so end up weighing in about 3.5 kilo.   Dindon are killed at 16 weeks and weigh in about 12 kilo but these are used for de-coupe and not usually sold. 

This is in industry.  Your butcher should be able to find one.

Take a chair with you for when he tells you the price.......

Failing that, we have a turkey of 20 kilo walking about the garden.  Excellent guardian.

[quote]Help - First Xmas in France, Bretagne - Will it be possible to get a 6 - 7 Kilo bird in LeClerc or other hypermarket? Or, do we get the family to bring one when they come over?[/quote]

Turkeys are in all the hypermarkets and butchers at Christmas but I agree with others that the size of bird you want may be a bit of a problem, so order from a butcher or press the bell in the hypermarket to talk to the butcher there. I don't know where you are in Brittany but our local Geant at Morlaix always has a good supply of free range birds although capons seem to be more popular.

Your real problem may well be to find sprouts. They have come into the shops and markets a bit in recent years but are not very widely available.

Liz (29)

Hi,

I agree about the chair - probably smelling salts will be needed too.  We got ours from Guilliers the last two christmases and as we paid €72 last year decided definitely to raise our own this time and have four waddling about looking very tasty.  Their days are numbered and the other three will be going in the deep freeze.

Considering there are so many stinky turkey sheds all over Brittany there is a definite paucity of available turkeys!  The ones in the supermarkets are pathetic specimins - we always had 25 pounders in the UK! 

Good luck!

Fil

If you live in a rural area rather than go the supermarket ask in the village as there is bound to be a farm nearby that sells turkeys for christmas and if you ask in your best french for one prepared for cooking they will probably think you rather quaint for asking but you will get just that.  I think that this and other suchlike are good ways of spreading the gossip that you live in the area.  Sprouts I think are available at lots of village markets but parsnips less so although I have seen them

Weedon