Single parent benefits

bigjimbishop

There is no basic family allowance for one child in France.

A child is classed as half a part on your tax form. Even though you have only been here for four weeks, you should get a tax form from your Mairie when they come out in Feb/Mar time and fill it in for those few weeks. There will be next to nothing on it,not only should you do this, but it will be very handy to have a tax declaration here.

www.caf.fr

I decided to sort out my French child benefit before ceasing my English one when we moved here 18 months ago, as I assumed that an EU resident it wouldn't matter who paid me for when. It took me 5 months to get it up and running, and now the IR want me to pay back the 5 months 'overpayment' as my benefit should have ceased the week we moved. The french won't pay me for that period either, although if I had cut ties with Britain straight away the french would have paid me for these 5 months. I also owe tax credit overpayments from nearly 2 years ago, they are only just asking for the money back now.

Don't get into a mess like I did; tell the IR straight away that you are no longer entitled to the UK benefits...they'll catch up with you eventually.

Karen

Thanks for the advice.

I will sign off UK benefits now and get down the Marie.

I am confused about tax as I'm earning money from UK contracts so do I keep doing Tax returns from UK using a french address? I get some earnings from local french employment so I guess this goes on the French tax declaration.

Tax is a nightmare, time to get self-sufficient!

Jim

[quote]Thanks for the advice.I will sign off UK benefits now and get down the Marie.I am confused about tax as I'm earning money from UK contracts so do I keep doing Tax returns from UK using a french addres...[/quote]

My understanding is (and I may be wrong) that if you are in the UK doing the contract work you pay tax in the UK on a UK tax return. If the contract is in the UK BUT you do the work in France (where you live now) then this needs to go onto your French tax return. It will also be a nightmare if you get it wrong.

Now the French need worldwide income declared as far as I can tell, so I dump it all on my French accountant, seems like a tax nightmare waiting to happen and I don't like those.

Absolutely, if you are French resident all income goes on your French tax return, as does any tax paid abroad.