End of year teacher gift

Lori

As the end of the school year is approaching, I am trying to decide what to give my daughter's teacher. My daughter is not the easiest child in the world and this year's teacher has been the best she has ever had. He is fantastic. Also, this is her last year in Primary school. Any ideas what I could give him as a thank you gift??? I'd like it to be something special - not the usual flowers/stationary, etc. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks Battypuss, that thought had crossed my mind. I wasn't too keen on a book or something written as he really doesn't speak English. Somthing else along those lines would be nice. I'm still trying to think of something. He is in his mid 30's, married (to a maternelle teacher), with two young daughters. Still looking for ideas...

[quote]As the end of the school year is approaching, I am trying to decide what to give my daughter's teacher. My daughter is not the easiest child in the world and this year's teacher has been the best she...[/quote]

What about something that he could use for the school? Some sport stuff or other?...

I know!... not much of a personal gift if you have such a debt of gratitude to him but school teachers in France have the same problems as their British counterparts : Their governments are strapped for cash to get them vital pieces of equipment or other funds needed!!

Maybe other parents have the same debt as you have and are too shy to say. You should ask around and establish a kitty for something really needed...

In a few word : 'Parents & Teachers Association' comes to mind...

They are not common currency in France. There is an 'Association de Parents d'Elèves' but I have never been very sure of what they are there for?... To me they looked more like a union (as in the socio-political model of a union) than a co-operative of parents wanting to help the local school with raising funds for school outings or other extra-curricular activities which would benefit the kids...

Put your idea to the teacher himself and he might come up with some ideas of his own!

Otherwise ? .. Why not entertaining him and his family on a Sunday luchtime, at your home with a good 'Sunday Roast' of Beef+Yorkshire pudding+Horse raddish sauce, lamb+Mint sauce/jelly, pork+crackling+apple sauce...Sherry Triffle, Queen of pudding, treacle tart... what ever... with all the trimming! as ONLY the British know how to do!

You know what French are like about British food! Show him WE can do just as good!

WE ??? Woops! Sorry I forgot I am French!!

Thanks Missy

You are so right, the school has little or no playground equipment. I like the idea, but still would like to offer something more personal to the teacher himself.

Nice idea about the Sunday lunch, only I am American, not British and I'm afraid our reputation (as you probably know) for food is not a particularly good one..

[quote]Thanks MissyYou are so right, the school has little or no playground equipment. I like the idea, but still would like to offer something more personal to the teacher himself.Nice idea about the Sunda...[/quote]

My apologies to have mistaken you for a Brit!

Then give them a good traditional American meal. Prepare it and serve it with all the trimmings as you would do in your own home on a special occasion. Pull out all the stops. Have your Thanksgiving Day early this year. You will, after all, be giving a kind of thanks...

French people are actually more appreciative of a good meal with others, even from a different culture, you may even open their eyes and mind! than a personal gift which will only gather dust along the way...

Taboo subject of conversation on such occasion : POLITICS! (Bush, Iraq and all that does not go down well in France) and Religion.

Anything else goes!

Show them that America is not just MacDonald! Wimpy and the like! Haagen-Daz... (Sorry! Ben and Jerry for me any day )Though I am sure their kids would like to be introduced to the delights of a Hershey bar..

If still wanting a personal touch aim it to the kids rather than the adults.

Best wishes!

Love the engraved item idea, especially if it can be used for work.

Also like the aiming to the kids idea. Both are very helpful.

Not too sure how comfortable I would be with the lunch idea. I don't really know them very well ... just that he is a really great teacher and has had an incredibly positive impact on my daughter. But I will keep it in mind.

Thanks again