School holiday dates, 2006

Stevehoward

You didn't state if you were looking for the UK holidays or the French holidays, nor for which area you were looking for.  However to get you started, here in 79 (Deux Sevres) the holidays for 2006 are as follows...

10 Feb - 27 Feb

14 Apr - 2 May

and 4 Jul onwards (no return date given yet)

From the responses so far, it appears that these dates vary from region to region, is that correct?

Yes, you're right; continental france is divided into 3 zones (A, B and C) they all go on holiday at the same time in oct/nov (toussaint) and usually at christmas. But the zones are staggered in february and again in April/may. If your zone goes on holiday first in february then it will go first in april too. The next year you will be second and so on... The main reasons for this seem to be a) to prevent everybody from leaving on the same saturday and blocking the roads and b) to provide a longer full period for the ski ressorts. It's not a straight split (i.e. everybody on the east is in zone A) The zones are dotted around france to avoid road congestion; so I'm in zone B in Provence and my friend in Belfort is in the same zone.

If you are in an area where the primary schools have a 4 day week, then the official dates are changed (not available on the ministry website, you have to ask at the school or the rectorat) the holidays are shorter to make up for the half day less each week.