Moving with a reluctant teen? - views welcome

Di

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="pale pink specs"][quote user="BP"]

And I especially do not allow shopkeepers in France to have a superior sneering attitude - I am the customer and I can speak gobbley-dook if I want to, if they want my money, they earn it by understanding what I need...most people back down pretty soon and start being helpful (I think it is my no-nonsense attitude but the OH says it is my sweet smile)

[/quote]

OMG - where do you live... I'll make a point of not going there!  [:-))]  dare I ask... do you have a sweet smile? [blink]

[/quote]

Hello pale pink specs,

I don’t know if I have a sweet smile, but some combination of firm eye contact, a no-nonsense attitude and a smile seems to be work fine – not only do we get good service in most places, I often get people offering free extras – a sweet, crunchy donut from the coffee vendor in New York, to a perfectly ripe avocado from the vegetable seller in the farmers market in France... (not that we are looking for any freebies, it is just nice to know people in different countries are friendly to foreigners)

So please don't be afraid to come where we live... 

But back to Di – please do tell us if you have decided your next steps...

Exactly Raindog...so why do so many Brits choose the Dordogne, apart from the fact that the area is beautiful?. They choose it because the schools there accept their non-fluent/poor French speaking kids and also because they will find themselves in a largely British settled community where they can get by with the ubiqutous 'bonjour', 'ca va' and 'au revoir' in the shops. This makes them feel 'french'. Everyone knows one does not need to learn to speak French at all to live in such a region. But I suppose it keeps the local French, what are left of them, happy.

The only people who I have 'rubbed up the wrong way' on this forum tend to be those who have come here and settled in those Brit enclaves. They have found their little 'niche' in France and wont/cannot accept that life and conditions for others differ around this country. Just shows how integrated they really are. They also try to be more French than the French, and take it as a personal insult when one criticises this country that has given them a cheap refuge from the UK that they not only helped to create, but were also desperate to escape.

These people do not want to hear that France has not been kind to you; they pick up their croissants in the morning along with their Daily Mail/Times paper. France, along with it's cheap property prices, has been kind to them and that is all they know about. It would be great if places like Dordogne-shire existed all over France but it does not. Thank god. Four years ago we moved to a region where, until a year or so ago, no British lived. Thank god again. But what did we find?...no schools anywhere with english speaking kids...fine... but an Inspection Academique who were not yet ready to accommodate such if they were over 12 years of age. Blatant discrimination. Unknown of until you move in here.

I know that some of you out there would find a totally non-British/foreign settled area in France to be the answer to your dreams. So did we at the time. Deal with the people we have come up against in the past four years and then tell me that the French are a tolerant bunch  in general. They are not. And what I found is this...fellow expats here are even less so.

Di, I have something called 'hindsight' now. I'd be interested to know what your plans are. You daughter has far more sense than any of us here.

And if you want to know what that 'hindsight' is then maybe it is this...we should have chosen an area more 'british' than all-French to start with. Just to have saved us all the hassles. Maybe there ARE some parts of France that are best left to the French themselves[:)].

[quote user="Jura"]

The only people who I have 'rubbed up the wrong way' on this forum tend to be those who have come here and settled in those Brit enclaves. They have found their little 'niche' in France and wont/cannot accept that life and conditions for others differ around this country. Just shows how integrated they really are. They also try to be more French than the French, and take it as a personal insult when one criticises this country that has given them a cheap refuge from the UK that they not only helped to create, but were also desperate to escape.

[/quote]

You couldn't be more wrong Jura. We certainly don't live in a 'brit enclave', we have no english neighbours, and we fully recognise that there are different conditions around this country. We are very integrated with our community but have never tried to be more french than the french. France has not given us a 'cheap refuge' and we were never desperate to 'escape' from the UK.

One thing you did get absolutely right though........................

I do find you to be one of the most irritating people on this forum. If it really is so bad for you in france, why don't you simply do what you've been threatening to do, and simply leave. Those that have actually made a success of living here can then get on with the good life we have here without having to read such sad, failure-ridden drivel.

If you're staying please stop judging everyone by your own standards.

[quote user="Jura"]

OK Jura... bearing in mind I have only just recently given up smoking... you didn’t really expect a chirpy little reply did you?   

Exactly Raindog...so why do so many Brits choose the Dordogne, apart from the fact that the area is beautiful?. They choose it because the schools there accept their non-fluent/poor French speaking kids and also because they will find themselves in a largely British settled community where they can get by with the ubiqutous 'bonjour', 'ca va' and 'au revoir' in the shops. This makes them feel 'french'. Everyone knows one does not need to learn to speak French at all to live in such a region. But I suppose it keeps the local French, what are left of them, happy.

Do you really think you know people that well.... are you really that arrogant Jura?  How dare you?  You have no idea what my level of French is, or how well I communicate... I did manage to discuss the political situation in France, and in particular compare employment legislation in both UK and France, last weekend over a coffee with my neighbour (I'm helping him create a website and translating it into English for him).. not sure if that counts as ubiquitous?

You have no idea why we chose our house... just as I have no idea why you chose to bring a 16 year old non-french speaking child to France... One thing is for sure... we're the first brits in our village and our son is the first non-french child to attend the village school... and the french seem to have welcomed us with open arms... maybe it’s to do with attitude?

Oh and yes… we still have a home in the UK, very much loved the area we lived and had lots of friends their too.  We never ran from the UK, we just loved France… you really shouldn’t base your arguments on stereotypical statements Jura… they can really let you down!

These people do not want to hear that France has not been kind to you; they pick up their croissants in the morning along with their Daily Mail/Times paper. France, along with it's cheap property prices, has been kind to them and that is all they know about. It would be great if places like Dordogne-shire existed all over France but it does not. Thank god. Four years ago we moved to a region where, until a year or so ago, no British lived. Thank god again. But what did we find?...no schools anywhere with english speaking kids...fine... but an Inspection Academique who were not yet ready to accommodate such if they were over 12 years of age. Blatant discrimination. Unknown of until you move in here.

I'm not a breakfast person... sorry!  I also do not read the Mail or the Times... not that they'd sell it in our village! We've travelled all over France for more than 20 years and sorry Jura... regardless of area we found pleasant folk!  Maybe you should have done a bit more homework before you moved?  or would that have been too obvious?  perhaps the person you should be most angry with Jura is yourself.  Perhaps maybe if you stopped shouting at people and being rude to people you too will find that there are actually quite a lot of very friendly folk out there... regardless of race!

I know that some of you out there would find a totally non-British/foreign settled area in France to be the answer to your dreams. So did we at the time. Deal with the people we have come up against in the past four years and then tell me that the French are a tolerant bunch  in general. They are not. And what I found is this...fellow expats here are even less so.  

maybe if you removed that enormous chip from your shoulder you might find that not everyone is bad!  Personally I think that we live a modern Europe and we should be free to move around as we do… but in choosing to do this, we should be prepared to change and adjust to our new surroundings…. And maybe be a little more tolerant!

Di, I have something called 'hindsight' now. I'd be interested to know what your plans are. You daughter has far more sense than any of us here.

See... still not exactly friendly is it? 

[/quote]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Sixth form boarding school for the A level years and join you in the holidays. Decent private school should increase the grades by quite a bit too. But don't force otherwise, too dangerous.[/quote]

Agree with you entirely woolyb - I certainly wouldn't dream of forcing a teen against their will to live in France - our boys hate it and they only have to spend holidays here LOL

Bugbear clearly states that only success stories are welcome on this forum. Those who have found France to be 'wanting' had better keep their 'failure-ridden drivel' to themselves. There you go Di. Just what I said. If you love it here then it is because of how wonderful France is...if you don't...sorry, but it is your fault!.

Scooby; only one of my son's hated it here. He left and is glad to be gone. One is 14 and coping well with school here, the other is nearly 22 and doing everything it takes to make it work here.

One other thing Bugbear ( I bet you are French)[Www]... what qualifies you to call  me a 'failure'?.

[quote user="Jura"]

One other thing Bugbear ( I bet you are French)[Www]... what qualifies you to call  me a 'failure'?.

[/quote]

The word I actually wanted to use is not, unfortunately, allowed on this forum.............................[;-)]

Neither of our boys particularly like France - they find it boring and feel that the children in the village are quite limited in their outlook, experience and aspirations.  We enjoy travel and so, over the years, have introduced our children to many cultures across the world.  It may be just our village, or French rural communities in general, but we have found that rural French children simply haven't had the life experiences that our children have had.  Those French families earning the money that would finance foreign travel etc tend to be the better educated families living in the bigger towns / cities.  Our near neighbours, for example, earn less than a tenth of the combined income of our family and live in a one bed village house.  They haven't had a holiday (of any description) for more than five years and, when they did, it was only a few days by the sea.  Our boys simply have little in common with the boys in the village - and to be frank I would not jeopardise their (very good) career aspirations in the UK by dragging them to France - however bucolic the surroundings.

Totally agree Scooby. Our kids have travelled extensively and my 14 year old find his schoolmates very provincial. They tend to stick to who they know and have always known. Village-wise. Not our fault of course, but these are things about 'la vie Francaise' you cannot know about until you move in here.

Why are you guys so mean on this forum.  So, Jura has a difference of opinion...so what...?    And yes, perhaps she is angry and thus is not so laid-back in her messages...again so what? That doesn't mean her opinion is not valid....

Just because you guys are having a wonderful time in France (and I must admit I am too) doesn't mean that everyone needs to be ra-ra.  So lighten up folks - in my humble opinion, Jura is making a really valuable contribution to the topic and while I may not agree with everything she says, I do pay heed to her experience

For Di - whatever my opinion is worth  -Teenagers are often lazy and want to be within their comfort zone (ok, it is a generalization). It is good to shake them out of it and experience something new...makes them stronger and more flexible in dealing with all the adversities that are inevitable in their grown-up lives.  Just make sure you provide them an environment that helps them succeed and not throw them off the deep-end (e.g., as Jura says, don't move to a remote barn in the middle of nowhere)

[quote user="BP"]

Why are you guys so mean on this forum.  So, Jura has a difference of opinion...so what...?    And yes, perhaps she is angry and thus is not so laid-back in her messages...again so what? That doesn't mean her opinion is not valid....

[/quote]

Sorry BP...  I'm not being mean, I was just a tad angry by Jura's comments.... and insulted.  I am sure, after four years, Jura has some very useful information and advice that she could pass on, and you're right we shouldn't all have to agree... but maybe if she could try to not be so angry, and dare I say, offensive at times... her message won't get lost amongst the noise.  I for one was insulted by her reply earlier and felt (after some consideration) that I should reply... [:$]

Scooby,

The guy we bought our house from said something very similar....and he is French, and moved to our charming, rural part of France from Paris some 20 odd years ago.  Never really integrated, methinks.  He had a low opinion of the 'provincial minds' and I suspect he was not the most popular with the villagers either...and when his kids grew up, he packed them off to the ecoles in Paris...

[quote user="woolybanana"]Can't agree BP. 16 is too late in the education cycle for them to recover in a foreign culture, unless they go to one of the international schools. The bac is a very unforgiving remorseless process not to be undertaken lightly, and certainly not as a complete outsider.[/quote]

Fair enough, though I suspect we do agree to an extent - an international school, and a bigger city would be the way to go...