Education in Marseille

Steven

Hi folks,

This is my first post on the forum.  As a long time Francophile I have always liked the idea of living in France.  Myself and my family are regular visitors to various parts of France.  The company I work for have branches throughout the country and I am currently looking into a move to Marseille. 

I'm slowly working through potential problems that may crop up, with a view to a move withing the next 2 years.  I don't like to rush things. 

My oldest son is currently 12 years old.  His French is limited and he is our main concern regarding any move.  He has just started high school in the UK.  Given that his French is limited to basic greetings does anyone have any suggestions or advice on education?  Are there any English speaking schools (unlikely) or would a French speaking school take it slowly with him?  I've been searching the net for info without much success. 

Hi Steven and welcome to the forum.  It is quite likely that there is an international school in Marseille as it is one of the major cities in France.  However, these are not cheap.  Another option would be a billingual school which would be far cheaper.  Your third option would be a French state school.  However, schooling a teenager in France is not without its problems.  If you use the search option in this forum, you will see where this topic has previously been discussed and will learn from the experiences of others.  Good luck.

My BiL lives in Cassis and works at the uni' in Marseille.  My 3 neices and nephews were pretty much brought up there, although the oldest moved when she was nine.  Personally, I think a French state school would be really hard work for a child of that age - you might just have got away with it if you had moved at the beginning of secondary school but I'm not sure that any state school is a great idea for a senior with no French.

I'll ask if he knows what's available though.  But I know his own opinion of the French state schooling system and he feels it is very formal and structured, and doesn't encourage a lot of creative thought!  All three children (now 100% bilingual) are now either back, or on their way back, to the UK to complete their educations (one at and the other about to go to Uni' and the youngest to do his A levels.)

Hi Steven,

From responses to other similar posts, the general consensus is that 12 is the maximum age one should risk moving a child into a different language and education system.

In two years time your son will have commenced his GSCE syllabus and at that point you are really committed until he finishes his exams. There will always be examples of teenagers who have moved successfully, it is just a question of do you want to risk your childs future education, when you just have to wait a few years until he has finished his schooling.

As I say, how this will affect my son is our main concern right now and the timing of any move will have to be around that.  Some of the points raised are exactly what I've been mulling over.  I'll have a root around the forum at similar threads.

This seems to be a friendly and active forum.  Thankyou everyone for your responses. 

There is loads of threads on this Forum about bringing children to France, especially teenagers.  There are varying opinions about whether to do it.  You will see that there are some people who do not recommend it at all.  Others have positive experiences (me amongst them).  Read on:

Moving with a teenager

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1101592/ShowPost.aspx

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1149881/ShowPost.aspx

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1134857/ShowPost.aspx

What they can do later?

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1149235/ShowPost.aspx

If you search on the words 'international school', you will find out about those as well.

I think all teenagers are different Steven.  My son would never, ever have agreed coming to France at that age.  However, my daughter will be finishing her GCSEs this year and, work and family commitments take me to Paris to join my husband and son.  We are placing her in an international school and, she is really looking forward to the 'adventure'....horses for courses I say.  (Or is it courses for horses? [blink]...................Anyway!!

Steven,

The main issue is language rather than the different education systems, in that if it takes two years for your son to obtain the fluency of his age equivalent French peer group, can he then catch up on the syllabus in time, bearing in mind the French State is not obligated to educate your son after he is 16. For many teenagers, it does little good to your self esteem to have to re-take a school year, because you are struggling with language competency.

How is your son doing at school now? If he is happy, settled and doing well, do you really want to disrupt that?

If you can afford an English speaking international school, then the risks are that much less, but even then you should avoid your son changing schools once he has started his GCSE's.