Pre-emigration French lessons - how useful?

Daft Doctor

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="KathyF"]Yes, it's a good course, PPP. I used it to get my very basic knowledge of Italian before my first visit and still have it as a refresher when I go again. I wouldn't say I'm fluent, though....[/quote]

But I would![;-)]

Extend your vocab and move on from melon & parma ham.[:D]

Fluency is a very relative matter; at that time my level of fluency in italian was commensurate with the duties of a tour guide accompanying a group of mainly american school teachers, most with a limited register in english, through france, spain, morocco, spain again, france again, switzerland and italy.

The main point is that in any language the basics together with oral competence are the backbone to the eventual degree of fluency aspired TO.

The addition of useless parasitic subjects like geography, linguistics et al just serve to accumulate course credits and keep surrogate teaching staff occupied; nevertheless in a quest for useful credits I explored the law faculty and signed on for International Trade Law. At a later date I was to explore the facets of undergraduate law in greater detail, so there was some eventual synergy.[:-))]

Hi, just an update.  Private 'at home' French lessons have been organised (2 x 1 hour sessions per week) for Jack starting September.  Tutor is native French and head of French at a local comprehensive.  Cost is £12/hr + £2 travel, which I think is very reasonable.  She knows the brief, so hope fully it will help.  Following another tip earlier in the thread, I have made some A4 landscape sheets, each with the basic conjugation (present, past, future and conditional) of one of etre, avoir, aimer, aller, pouvoir or devoir.  These are now fixed variously on the fridge door, kitchen cupboards, kitchen wall or patio door just as a reminder.  As we have a buyer for our house now the appearance isn't an issue, and hopefully some of it will diffuse into all our brains given time!

[quote user="pachapapa"]... and bought Parliamo Italiano;a smart BBC course on the basics.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BBC-PARLIAMO-ITALIANO-lessons-1-10-EX-/380324375552 [/quote]

Gosh, what a blast from the past - I remember listening to this course on the radio in 1964 and learning Italian with the aid of the booklets - ready for my holiday camping in Italy - and France - with my mum and my aunt. It was a very good course IIRC and stood us in good stead when during my mum's turn to drive she went the wrong way down a one way street in Turin just after the Fiat 'end of shift' siren sounded and was stopped by a very smart traffic cop dressed all in white, even down to his white gloves. We were let off our misdemeanour.

Sue

Have you considered, renting for 6 months, before selling up entirely? Just 'test' the water before you jump in feet first! Do you have an exit strategy? What if it doesnt suit, I wont say goes wrong as that is negative! For some France does work, mainly for those retirees. It is much harder with a family and introducing a new school system. Having a good exit strategy will take the pressure off those earliest few months too.

Don't worry Deby, we would have fancied a house move in the UK even if we weren't going to France so selling up isn't a big deal.  We are renting in France of course, and won't buy a property until we are sure the time and property are right.  We of course can always come back to England (and walk into highly paid work) if it really isn't going well, but I have been well informed that to imply to a child that we are 'trying out' a life in France and that it will be reviewed after 6 months, a year or whatever is self destructive, making it harder for them to feel settled.  We are emigrating to France, permanently one hopes, and that is the message we are giving out.  I really think for us it will work, but as I have said numerous times on previous posts, we aren't stupid to think we know it all and are certain of this.  What I can say is that I cannot imagine anyone who has gathered more information or opinion on the plus and minus points of all aspect of French life, including of course, education.  Our decision to emigrate is based on all this information, experience of others, knowledge of the area we have chosen and, crucially, knowledge of ourselves and our family.  Please be reassured, we have all angles covered!

[quote user="Daft Doctor"] Following another tip earlier in the thread, I have made some A4 landscape sheets, each with the basic conjugation (present, past, future and conditional) of one of etre, avoir, aimer, aller, pouvoir or devoir.  [/quote]

Blimey you're good, we just did avoir and etre in the present tense [:D]

You sound like you've covered all bases and I wish you all the very best... we've been here 4 years and it has flown by.  There have been a few times when we've been homesick and wondered about going back... but never seriously enough to make any plans.  We're settled now and whilst I never say never, we certainly have no regrets about our move.