French teacher shortage

Sprogster

Under a French Government policy to down size the public sector, a rule is being applied that for every two civil servants that retire or leave only one can be replaced. Apparently, this is having a dramatic impact on the French teaching profession, with increasing class sizes of up to forty pupils not being unusual.

Another reported impact is that schools are having to resort to using more relief teachers leading to a shortage when they are required to cover for sickness, with a resulting increased in cancelled classes.

A further concern is that whilst most new teachers in France are educated to Master degree level, they are no longer required to have a teaching qualification, which is leading to a drop in teaching standards.

Therefore, past experience of the French educational system is not necessarily a good indication as to the future, as there are many changes due to cost cutting that are starting to impact.

It has been on french news, I think that there was a manif about it a few weeks ago.

My hairdresser's son in France failed his IUFM, but as they needed teachers, the Education Nationale decided that year to reduce the pass level so that they could take him on. Very reassuring nez pah!

wooly, the source is a recently published report by a senior teacher of thirty years plus standing, working in Brittany. The teacher concerned is well regarded and prominent member of the local community, so you will just have to take my word for it that it is reliable! The two for one civil service replacement policy is also publicly known.

I will see if I can find the article on the internet and if so will create a link.

• 3 weeks later...