Double electric ovens

Sorry if this topic is covered elsewhere but a search produced no results.

Is there a reason why hen's teeth would be easier to find in France than double electric ovens? I want two electric ovens in a split level style as we won't have room for them side by side. I'd prefer not to have to buy two regular ones to achieve this.

Thanks.

I have never ever seen a double oven like you want. In fact it was very hard to get hold of a half decent oven here at one time.

I can't imagine any of my friends using one here really. I know several people with just those tiny free standing ovens,can't think what they are called. And they do cook a lot, in fact, an awful lot, it is just that their ways of cooking are different.

Double electric ovens are readily available in France.

There is not a great range and they are at the upper end of the market:

Neff U1641
Smeg DO10PSS
De Dietrich 448

Generally fitted kitchen suppliers in France do not produce housings for double ovens - I have installed both French and imported UK double ovens into modified Lapeyre column housings for single ovens. If you would like more info, please contact me directly at the e-mail address in my profile.

The small ovens that TU referred to are Four Pose Libre and are available widely. Very useful - we have one - they are ideal when you need to cook small dishes without the need to heat up a big oven.

The other posting re your electricity supply is very valid - most big double ovens run at around 2,4 kilowatts - check that your supply is up to it!

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

Thanks to all for your comments. I like to cook & entertain and have always enjoyed the versatility of two ovens. I've seen the small freestanding appliances but would prefer to have two useable shelves - something that seems very rare in French ovens... 

I'll check out the nearest suppliers and prices of the models suggested by Bob. My husband is prepared to adapt off the shelf or make the housing himself - just one more chore on the evergrowing list! 

Re the power supply, our house has a 6kW supply but I'm sure it could be upped to 9 if we worked it out as being neccesary....

Thanks again.

Ah I wasn't suggesting that you bought a mini four type thing at all. All I was saying was that I have friends who entertain and love cooking who only have these free standing things, which are far smaller than a normal oven, they simply don't have a proper sized oven. Cooking styles are quite different really. So that double ovens are not usually seen here is not a surprise to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Funny you should have posted this as we're looking for the same thing as we've bought a large property with a ridiculously small kitchen. It needs a double oven and hob with 6 rings (all electric). I've found a suitable Brittannia oven in the UK but can't find any distributors in France on the internet. Does anyone know of any?

[quote]We had the same problem so we bought a double oven in England and brought it here. We found a suitable kitchen unit (in which to install it) at Ikea (in Switzerland). Does Ikea exist in France?[/quote]

Richard,

There are several IKEA stores now in France, we are supposed to be getting a branch in Rennes one day.

Have a look here for your nearest store.

http://www.ikea.com/ms/fr_FR/