All too easy! Reregistering a UK car in dept 31

Paulholman

I thought I would tell people not to dread the thought of re-registering a UK car in France (especially if it resonably new). We have a Renault Scenic which was originally an import 13 month ago. My wife went to the local Hotel d'Impots with proof of id, proof of address, original receipts and UK registration document. She was asked to complete a very simple form and was given the necessary certificate of acquisition to show no further VAT was payable. Then she went off to the local sous prefecture. After a brief wait in a queue she handed over the certifcate she'd got from the Hotel d'impots, the UK registration document, proof of id and proof of address and the certifcate of conformity. She had to complete another simple form and within 15 minutes was leaving the Sous Prefecture with a Carte Grise in her hand! The total cost? 248 euros - 27.5 euros per fiscal CV - the scenic is claased as a 9 CV. All far too simple. Is there something we've missed?

>I thought I would tell people
>not to dread the thought
>of re-registering a UK car
>in France (especially if it
>resonably new). We have
>a Renault Scenic which was
>originally an import 13 month
>ago. My wife went
>to the local Hotel d'Impots
>with proof of id, proof
>of address, original receipts and
>UK registration document. She
>was asked to complete a
>very simple form and was
>given the necessary certificate of
>acquisition to show no further
>VAT was payable. Then
>she went off to the
>local sous prefecture. After a
>brief wait in a queue
>she handed over the certifcate
>she'd got from the Hotel
>d'impots, the UK registration document,
>proof of id and proof
>of address and the certifcate
>of conformity. She had
>to complete another simple form
>and within 15 minutes was
>leaving the Sous Prefecture with
>a Carte Grise in her
>hand! The total cost?
> 248 euros - 27.5
>euros per fiscal CV -
>the scenic is claased as
>a 9 CV. All
>far too simple. Is
>there something we've missed?

No.
It's just that some people like to build mountains!!!!

>Is there something we've missed?

Not at all, but the process of immatricualtion to French plates can depend on several factors such as make, model, age and even (surprise surprise)the department you live in, on how difficult the process can be.
I've now registered three vehicles here with varying degrees of difficulty. I found it is often the certificate of conformity which can present the problems. If a visit to the mines is involved then this also can delay the process.

Your vehicle was French and relatively new. If it had been a 10 year old Chrysler Voyager as my friends had, then you would maybe have had a different story to tell.

In any case, more and more cases are presented to the relative Prefectures on a daily basis so if people go well prepared with the relevant documents correctly filled in, as you did, then there is no need for it to be at all difficult.

Best regards,

Paul

Great to hear it is a relatively easy process, providing you are organised. So now your registered, what about car tax and MOT's ? how does one go about obtaining these ? and does the same three year requirement apply?

Would love to know....

kind regards

Caroline

I have been told by someone that if you have an export paper from the dvla that you can get insurance and a control technique indefinatley and that you don't need to actually import your car, is this true because the palava we went through to import our vectra was a bit of a nightmare? my husband has been looking to buy a second hand pick-up for work and we have found that they are like hens teeth around these parts and we have been told by a car dealer in poitiers that most of them are sent to north africa!! so hubby was concidering going back to england where they are as common as muck but importing again we don't really famcy it.
p.s. has any one got an old pick-up for sale in the deux-sevres area! kind regards linda