Why Register in France?

quelque

I just spoke to an insurance company that said they would insure a car that is permanently based in France that is registered in the UK. Can someone please tell me, if this is the case, why one would go through the process of registering in France.

We are looking to buy a used car soon to keep in France and have been very concerned about the form filling and registration process considering our very poor French at the moment. If we could buy a car here in the UK and have it insured indefinitely until we move there permanently, this of coarse would be the easiest option for us or am I missing something?

>Can someone please tell me, if this is the case, why one would go through the process of registering in France.

No annual car license tax in France
Do not have to ship the car back once a year for the MOT
Legal requirement to register within 3 or 6 months ? of permenant importattion
Would want confirmation in writing of insurance position from company not simple call to call centre.

For a start, insurance is cheaper here than in the UK, especially in rural regions, although large cities would be on par I think. As said, no vignette for cars, contrle technique every two years (MOT) and instant help when you are in trouble. I can't think why anyone would want to continue with UK insurance if they want to live full time in France, you should be putting your money into the french economy and changing a vehicle over to french plates is not that hard as your mairie normally does the paperwork for you. If you have an unusual vehicle, then there will be problems with the certificate of conformit.

If you're looking to buy a used LHD car for use in France, which you intend to keep in france, why not buy one from a dealer in France and let them deal with the registration process. All the benefits listed elsewhere will then apply.

Just wait till you have a serious claim.To be legal in France as a resident,your car needs to be registered in France which means registration in your commune,insurance and CT(mot).Anything else is not strictly legal-you may have an insurance certificate,you may get away with a minor claim but have an accident involving a child(not your fault) you will still be paying compensation after you come out of prison.

Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately, we will have to live in the UK for the next few years before we move to France permanently. Otherwise, I would not have asked this question. After reading your replies it does make much better sense to register the car in France.

We have also heard that second hand cars are much more expensive in France. For the first few years we were hoping to find something along the lines of an old reliable Van or people mover that will get us about as well as hauling things.

Penny29, I did keep your private message from the other day and will definitely use it when I register. Thank you again

Whilst the advantages are obvious if you are living permanently in France, what is the score if you intend to only go for 12 months?

If I want to take a 'year out' before deciding on whether to move permanently, what is the best course of action?

If I can prove that the car has gone back to the UK every 3 months and I have a UK address, is there still a problem if I get 12 month UK cover?