Driving on the right

Val_2

Back of yesterday's Telegramme was an article on how BF and the Gendarmerie have had to remind english drivers disembarking from the Roscoff ferry to drive on the right after at least 13 accidents last year and 20 people badly injured. I too have seen people new to French driving come off there, tear off down the road which is not a lot more than a country lane until you meet the main road and then realise they are on the wrong side - very frightening to those coming the other way. Wonder how many people have thought that the 70 limit sign meant miles per hour not kph!

>Back of yesterday's Telegramme was an
>article on how BF and
>the Gendarmerie have had to
>remind english drivers disembarking from
>the Roscoff ferry to drive
>on the right after at
>least 13 accidents last year
>and 20 people badly injured.
>I too have seen people
>new to French driving come
>off there, tear off down
>the road which is not
>a lot more than a
>country lane until you meet
>the main road and then
>realise they are on the
>wrong side - very frightening
>to those coming the other
>way. Wonder how many people
>have thought that the 70
>limit sign meant miles per
>hour not kph!

I've come to the conclusion that that is the reason that the French have so many accidents, they all drive on the wrong side and then get all upset when we try to put them correct.

I heard that the Irish government had a trial period where all the HGVs spent 2 weeks driving on the right. Apparently it was a failure as far as driving safety was concerned, but it did help cut down the population explosion. "Thinks" I wonder if it would work if all the cars were on the right instead?

John.

P.S. When we have been over the past 2 times I have had my hand held GPS in the car. When the speedo has been reading 80kph the GPS has recorded just about 72kph. This is the same with my car here in the UK. Almost all the speedos have a 10% or so error and normally read low. That's why most police are quite happy when you are doing 85 or so in an 80 limit. Their speedos are calibrated.....

The GPS is great when you are trying to find that tiny village in the middle of no-where too. Makes it easy to find your way out as well.....

(Par Ardva ad Aspidestra)

Only been living here 8 or so months, been visiting and driving in france for 10 years or so without problem, my problem is looking the correct way whilst crossing the road as a pedestrian,cannot get the hang of looking left first! The green x code has been instilled.......look right, left and right again.....whoops! mrs O with two young children