No Trade-In

DMC

Questions I forgot to ask on a previous post regarding buying second hand from a garage:

Should I expect a discount against advertised garage price similar to a 'no trade in' deal in UK?

Also, is there a particular phrase in French for this?

Doug

[quote]Hello I have just bought a Ford C-max for my company and got 15% off. Regards Mik[/quote]

To make things a little clearer here.

A few makers eg at the moment Citroen, Ford, and some other "foreign" cars are offering discounts. Citroen especially, as they are still clearing the decks with some of their older ranges and now the C series are being updated soon, you will get good deals there, same goes for Ford who are bringing in new models all the time. Peugeot and Renault appear to be holding up rather well and getting discounts on their popular ranges are tougher than getting a drink out of Lester P. !!

It really is a different case entirely with all models that are good or even average sellers, then getting a discount is a pretty hard task, nigh on impossible. So Mik, sorry, the odds are you got that car due to no one wanting that particular model and they simply wanted it off their hands

I think Miki is right, there are usually offers available but these tend to be on models that are soon to be updated or those that just don't sell as well as they should.

The only time we have bought with a trade-in from a garage in France we were so amazed by the allowance the chap offered for the 12-year-old 205 we turned up in, in comparison with what it would be worth in England (even allowing for it being LHD), that we jumped at it. He did a little bit of work, put it on his forecourt for even more money, and it sold quickly. So everybody was happy.

If you want to do a good deal - find an old cheap diesel LHD in England, import it to France, then trade it in. I can't see any other way of making any money from dealing with garages in either country (speaking from the viewpoint of somebody brought up in the English motor trade).

Hello

Sorry to disappoint you Miki but it was a specified car to be delivered 1st week in nov with october u/dates on, plus chosen paint  ect.

Why should it disappoint me? I really don't give a monkey's what motor you pick up or at what price.

I must say though, you were very lucky that what you wanted was exactly the model they wanted rid of.

That simple, hope that doesn't disappoint you. Been in the car game too long to know what discounts are about and what for Mik. 15% in France on a popular model is harder than putting Chirac in nick

Bill,

Off to Rennes car auction next Monday. Tina wants a newer car as she thinks her car is getting on a bit now !!

The auctions look OK, it's been a few years since I last went to a French car auction. Things are pretty similar but we shall see if the difference these days are worth the trip a few times to the auctions. Picked up a couple of good cars over the years in Provence and Dordogne, good savings but there is the extra work to do of course, compared to buying from a dealer.

I remember very well the good days in the UK, before the public cottoned on in a big way to car auctions. Prices rose as more and more public entered the "fray" leaving the actual dealers with a bit less to "play" with.

Friends still in the game in the UK, tell me that many 2nd hand car prices (not all marques) are pretty much on the floor and many cars are so cheap to buy in places like Loot and on ebay that it is certainly affecting the prices in general. Over 8000 cars are generally up for auction at anytime on ebay !

Be glad when France catches up on that score, French e-bay is terrible for cars but have looked at Germany and some good buys can be had but again, it is the time, expense and all that, that makes it barely worth the trouble.

[quote]Bill, Off to Rennes car auction next Monday. Tina wants a newer car as she thinks her car is getting on a bit now !! The auctions look OK, it's been a few years since I last went to a French car auc...[/quote]

Hey Miki. Do you still trade? What with the horse to support and all!

[quote]Hey Miki. Do you still trade? What with the horse to support and all![/quote]

Course I do Boggie, it's in the blood

Not a bad "nag" that one, one of the very best horses ever. You wouldn't have needed to "support" that one, with the dosh it won, you could have another lovely Ferrari, in fact dozens of 'em

[quote]Course I do Boggie, it's in the blood Not a bad "nag" that one, one of the very best horses ever. You wouldn't have needed to "support" that one, with the dosh it won, you could have another lovely...[/quote]

Like Wise!!!!

What "Nag" was it? Can't make it out properly.

Why not mention his name then Miki? You weren't a tax inspector in your former life by any chance ( like somebody I could mention  )...

Bill, the great man was only ever known on the track as the Longfellow or Yer man, sorry about that so here he is :

Lester Piggott the greatest of them all....................

and it's about time the rules were changed and he is made a Sir or better still Lord Lester !!

(He simply forgot the cash payments yer onner)

[quote]Discounts are pretty unheard of in France whether it be brand new vehicle or second hand.[/quote]

we've bought 4 new cars since being in France getting between 8-14% discount, the latest being  a landrover with ~12% discount (by the time options were added and included). Of course you need to negotiate hard - but if you know what you want and are ready to sign there and then then you can push very hard. best time to buy a car is the end of the year (dec) , but failing that a few days before the end of each quater - usually when sales figures have to be in !  BTW I usually negotiate for most high cost things - the latest being a 24 alarm/telesurveillance system where we finally got around 35% of the list price.

regs

Richard