is it possible to get road tax with french insurance

Kingdingaling

no you can't. A UK insurance certificate has specific wording, relating to being compliant with UK and NI etc . This shows that a certain % of the premium has been paid to a UK slush fund to cover non-insured accidents etc. The post office will not accept the french insurance. One way around it is to take out a temporary UK cover note for a car you may buy - and then decide not to buy it

regs

Richard

I have heard people who claim to have been able to get UK road tax with French insurance, but they were probably fortunate in finding a post office clerk who wasn't familiar with the rules. There is an EU directive that says a vehicle has to be insured in the country in which it is kept (I know you can insure a UK registered vehicle in France, but officially this is only for the - sometimes considerable - time it takes to reimmatriculate it in France).

The legality - or otherwise - of using a vehicle on French roads when subject to a SORN has been discused at length, most notably in the 'taken to court' topic. The only legal way of avoiding UK road tax and continuing to use a vehicle overseas is to get an export certificate.

If you use your untaxed and presumably UK registered car to get back to the UK aren't you driving illegally in France and the UK?  Has it got an MOT or a CT?

Even if it is insured in France the validity of that is called into question if the vehicle has been in France more than 6 months.  Yes, you can get insurance on UK plated cars they will take your money, but just wait until you have a claim.

If your car had been exported and registered in France then you can use it in the UK with the French equivelant of a green card.

we have been using our car for nearly 6 months in france, it still has an mot, im not going to register it in france due to the fact that we are thinking of moving back to the UK and I dont want to lose the number plate, I know of many people who have used theyre car here for 3 years still with UK plates.

Every time this topic comes up we end up going round the same circle. The laws are clear enough,  the car should, after an initial period, be registered  in the country in which you have your main residence,and insured in the same place. The only thing the various, we know someone who..., posts  prove is that there are lots of people about who don't worry about chancing it with the law , and who are lucky enough to get away with it.

[quote]we have been using our car for nearly 6 months in france, it still has an mot, im not going to register it in france due to the fact that we are thinking of moving back to the UK and I dont want to lo...[/quote]

I know people who have driven for years and havnt passed a driving test

I know people who have used a car for years with no road tax

I know people who have gone to the pub every night for 6 years drunk 8 pints and then driven home

I know people who drive at 80mph everywhere

None of it is legal