re-registering UK vehicle & tax??

jorja

hi

i am sure this has been covered already but i am too lazy and my internet is too slow to go looking for the answer!...........

i am planning to buy a landrover discovery in the UK (worth about £3000) and bring it back to France to re-register it here. i was speaking to a French friend this evening and he said i may have to pay up to 2000euro tax as it is considered a luxury vehicle. is this right?? i thought that all it cost was around 250euro???

any help would be hugely appreciated.

thanks

jorja

Are you buying a left hand drive Discovery? If not, why import a right hand drive one to France? We had a Discovery a few years ago  (L Reg. when we had it) and it was a nightmare. We live in the country where a 4 wheel drive is an absolute necessity. The bodywork is very poor, particularly bumpers, rear step, side steps etc and will be much worse on an older model. I used ours to tow a trailer with one, sometimes two, horses in it and it wouldn't 'tow you out of bed' let alone up our driveway from the farm without 'wellying it' which isn't advisable towing horses!!! It looked very smart but that was it! I certainly would not consider buying one about the price you are looking at as you will be buying LOTS of problems and the parts are NOT cheap. I now have an Isuzu Trooper  LWB which is vastly superior to the Discovery and also there is more room in it. Downside is it does use lots of diesel but is 3.1 engine (If considering Trooper don't buy new 3.0 litre engine as there have been lots of problems with it but the slightly older 3.1 is very reliable, good engine.) Good Luck and Happy 4x4 hunting!

You don't pay tax as such to import your car, yet, although the French Government are considering an additional tax on 4x4's but the registration fee is scaled by engine size and if it is big car you pay a big fee, as much as €600+ for a 3 litre, although this is a one off payment if you do not move departments, you also have to get a certificate of conformitie if it is an older vehicle (€50 - €150) and a controle technique (MOT equivelant)  before you can register in France.   Insurance on big cars is also expensive, taking all in all, to get the car legal and insured for a year in France, your friend's estimate is not far off the mark.

[quote]thank you. finally a sensible and un-opinionated (is that a word??!) answer!! simple and to the point. thank you for your advice. jorja bergonne[/quote]

So all the other opinions given were unwelcome?  Surely if you post a question you are going to get opinions other wise known as answers. If your comment about "sensible and un-opinionated" referred to those who suiggested your car was duff, that should have been explained and not aimed at those who tried to help you on this topic.

[quote]Are you buying a left hand drive Discovery? If not, why import a right hand drive one to France? We had a Discovery a few years ago (L Reg. when we had it) and it was a nightmare. We live in the coun...[/quote]

Hi, did you buy your trooper in France or did you import from the UK. I also have a trooper and love it to death, plus it is perfect for our work - building/towing etc. We started the procedure of registering it in France and received a partial certificate of conformity, we haven't proceeded further as we are unfortunately back in the UK working. We are uncertain as to what to do in the future, return with the vehicle and attempt to register or sell up and buy an alternative in France. I have been looking at 2nd hand 4x4 this afternoon on the net and they seem to be quite expensive and I don't think we will be able to replace the trooper with as good a vehicle. Would really like a landy defender but they really are pricey in France & the UK!

Many thanks ..

• 2 weeks later...

HI jorja...

On Friday I actually posted the request to Land Rover France for a certificat de conformite for our beloved Range Rover. (About time too....I can hear regular readers muttering....)  It is left hand drive which is a start, but it is North American registered so I can smell problems.  120 euros down already for one vehicle, am waiting for the reply.  It is also LPG/petrol automatic, just to compound things, but it is my husband that will not part with it, I think it is a tank and cannot stand driving it around these narrow roads.  We also have a Land Rover which although right hand drive is probably going to be an easier vehicle to change to french number plates.  I am just waiting for it to rain to soak some of the mud off to collect all the ncessary numbers for the form for Land Rover France.

I will post here the results of the application for the cert of conf....if I forget...someone send me a private mail please!!

Washy