Buying a car from a rented address

Happy Expat

We are moving shortly to France into rented premises whilst we find a suitable permanent home. We want to buy a LHD car - one problem would seem to be that we will not have any utility bills as we are paying an all-inclusive rent and wish to buy within about 4 weeks of arriving. Ant advice welcomed please ....

Bob & Jane

If I was in your shoes, I would be tempted to ask at a local car dealership as to whether it would be possible for you to buy. In France they always want proof of address by utility bills and I don't know how you would fare with the Carte Grise either because it must have your proper address on it and to get it changed costs money. Get the info from the people who sell the vehicles.

I would negotiate with your landlord to get your name put on the EDF bill, it really will save you an awful lot of trouble with lots of different places.  I'm sure they can still pay it if they want. We're renting and constantly being asked for it as proof of address.

Having just bought a car through a Renault dealership, they required proof of salary as well as the mandatory EDF bill and passport for a financing deal and for organising the carte grise. 

It really is worth finding a way to get your name put on the bill.

It probably depends on which department you are in and which car dealer you choose, but when we arrived last year (DEPT 46) we had to buy a car within 2 weeks and were in rented accomodation. I did have a letter from our landlord confirming our address (as we had no bills with our name on), but this was never needed. We just supplied the address to the (Toyota) dealer and they sorted out the carte grise for us. When we moved a few months later we just went to the prefecture covering our new address and filled in a form to change the address - this was done in a few minutes. I don't remember being charged for this, so if we were it was a very small amount. We bought a year old car, but I presume the process is the same with a new one.

Depending on the amount, you will probably have to pay by bank transfer, so make sure you can arrange this. We had to pay by transfer as our cheque book had not yet arrived (payment too high an amount for a card), and this had to be arranged by fax or letter with the bank - this is a real pain if you don't have your own fax and need the car quickly.

Also, if you have only had UK insurance before, try and get a letter from your insurance company stating your no claims bonus details etc. We were able to arrange immediate cover by telephone but had to follow it up with all the necessary paperwork. Make lots of copies of passports, driving licence, etc, before you leave, as this can save time too.

Regards,

Jane