cost of carte grise

Senga

I have just collected all my documents to send off to the prefecture for the carte gris but can't find anywhere how much the cheque has to be for.  The forms tell you where to send it and who to make it out to but not the amount. Anyone know?

[quote]I have just collected all my documents to send off to the prefecture for the carte gris but can't find anywhere how much the cheque has to be for. The forms tell you where to send it and who to make ...[/quote]

The amount you pay depends on the CV, which roughly in UK terms means the CC, mine was 154€ for a 1998cc, bigger engines are much dearer, and vice versa.  But it is a one off charge, not like the road tax in the UK. 

It's perfectly correct that the cost of the carte grise depends on the CV rating, but the CV hasn't been worked out on engine size for many years now.  For current vehicles it depends mainly on CO2 emissions, previous to that it was worked out using a very complicated formula based on fuel, vehicle type, gear ratios and engine capacity/power output.

Just for reference we have a 1.9 litre diesel rated at 5cv, and a 1.4 litre diesel rated at 4cv. The latter was bought very recently and the carte grise cost a bit under 120€. The charge varies with the age of the vehicle, and does not seem to be the same in all regions. I previously had a 2.3 litre petrol car which, although we never registered it in France, was rated at 11cv. I hope that gives you some idea.

If you've got everything together then it's probably easier to visit your prefecture or sous prefecture in person. You should be able to walk in with your documents and walk out about 15 minutes later with your Carte Grise. On your way home you can then get your new number plates made up.