Controle Technique

Lavie

Four years since first registration.

Although it could no doubt be argued that if it is still UK registered it will not be legal, and thus not insurable, without a UK MoT certificate after three years - so if between 3 and 4 years old I would get on with the French registration process tout de suite.

[quote]Hello What is the point of having a French ct on a British registered vehicle? Regards John[/quote]

It's necessary as part of the re-registration process, if the vehicle is over four years old. If the owner does not intend to register the vehicle in France then it does indeed seem pointless, though no doubt somebody will be able to justify it.

But a UK reregistered vehicle in France would have a current UK MOT and UK tax, just like all yours have John

Saw a personalised number plate Jag in Hyper U the other day,  *** 1 J, smart looking car,  no CT sticker, no insurance sticker just a UK tax disc for 8- 2003 in the window....  now who is trying to kid who????.  

It wouldn't have a ct if it was brit reg and there is no requirement to have a insurance sticker on the windscreen on a brit reg car???  Who says so?????  Surely if you live here your cars must have CT's and if it is insured why not show the sticker?

Yes John, its not my business  so long as when he hits some thing or somebody, he HAS insurance, but if it has no CT and no UK tax in force, how can it be insured???  It is also unlikely that the car has a current MOT as it's tax is two years out of date.  

Surely if you want to keep legal you have to either conform with French law or UK law, confoming with neither makes it criminal in my eyes, AND as as he lives near you, we assume you are near Albi,  lets hope he does not come into contact with you or your family

As I understand it, once a UK registered car has been in France for 6 months it is legally deemed to have been imported and, as such, must be re-registered. Prior to re-registration, a UK registered car must have current valid road tax. Failure to comply with the laws of the land could render any insurance cover invalid.

Brits who come over to France and ignore the laws just get the rest of us a bad name. No-one, of any nationality, wants to run the risk of being hit by an uninsured car. The problem over here is that the policing of such matters seems to be reactive rather than proactive, meaning that most people will get away with it until they have an accident - at which time the gendarmes will throw the book at them.

My question was originally asked (and Will kindly answered) as i'm planning ahead and simply wanted to know what i need to do and when and NOT because i'm trying to avoid anything. It's amazing to see how much the direction of the thread changes...

It seems to be a failure in French system that they allow cars to be tested without a French registration, ensuring you had to have this or supplying some sort of temporary test certificate for import purposes only would be a good idea.

However, I've no complaints with the system - we got through it no problem and had our car tested and registered within a week.

Don't worry I've got the extinguisher next to the computer for when I'm shot down in flames!

• 3 weeks later...

Something slightly different to ask of this thread .....

Re 7.5 tonne vehicles,do they just need a CT or do they have to go to a higher place, as in England where they have a ministry test.

(Apologies in advance if this sounds stupid,don't know much about these things and hubby putting words into my mouth !)