Finding a LH drive car dealer in the North of the UK

peebee

We are shortly about to make the Big Move to France and would like to try and change our RH drive Peugot for a LH drive before we go.  I've done a google and struggle to find a dealer in the North East (Grimsby) area.  I've rung round the main car dealers in this area to see if they can hep without any luck.  Nobody wants to know.  Does anybody out there know of any dealers up here?

Many thanks

Pat

Hi Peebee,

I have have a RHD car and have driven it in France for nearly three years and never have I found it a a handicap, in fact I recently had the chance to swap cars to a LHD from someone returning to the UK, but as they say.....the devil you know etc, so I decided to keep the RHD as I find it no problem on the roads here. If you like the car you have at the moment, keep it!

Lautrec.

Hi Lautrec,

Our Peugot is only a couple of years old and we are very happy with it but after reading some of the comments on various Forums about trying to sell RHD cars in France, we wondered if it would be better to get rid before we go or keep it and run it until it eventually gives up in the dim and distant future.  I think we may do as you have done, as time is running out to look round dealers, and  we move over 10 March.

Pat

Lots of people seem quite happy with RHD cars on LHD roads, but I definitely prefer it the 'right' way round. Perversely I'm perfectly happy with LHD in Britain, driving back there every few weeks I get plenty of practice. Each to their own.

When we first moved over we found a LHD car at an independent Peugeot dealer by searching through a 'for sale and wanted' magazine web site. You could try doing the same at Exchange and Mart or Auto Express or similar. We found ours at Friday Ad, but I think that's just a southern English publication. We did think having a car that had been exported from France before would make it dead easy to re-register, but should have known better, the prefecture still wanted a certificate of conformity for some perverse reason, and they got horribly confused when the date of registration in England was, naturally enough, about three years after the approximate 'mise en circulation' date thrown up by the VIN. It all got sorted out in the end, after an exchange of faxes between the prefectures in 50 and 60 where it was last registered in France - fortunately some old French documentation came with it.

[quote user="peebee"]

We are shortly about to make the Big Move to France and would like to try and change our RH drive Peugot for a LH drive before we go.  I've done a google and struggle to find a dealer in the North East (Grimsby) area.  I've rung round the main car dealers in this area to see if they can hep without any luck.  Nobody wants to know.  Does anybody out there know of any dealers up here?

Many thanks

Pat

[/quote]

The only places which have an active market an active market for cars with steering wheels on the 'wrong' side of the car are in Africa where you just drive accros a border. Broadly if you chose to export and reregister then for the transaction to be worthwhile you have to run the car into the ground.   

Thanks for all the advice.  We had a long talk about changing the car last night and TOH has decided that we will take our Peugot to France and keep it for as long as possible over there.  How do we go about getting one of the 'Certificates of Conformity' when we arrive in order to register it?  Do we go to a Peugot garage or do we have to send for our own?

Thanks

Pat

I saw a mention on another forum. In that case, they rang Peugeot customer services un the UK, and were provided with the cert. FOC.

Check the documentation you have with the car, as there may already be the appropriate part in there.

It's about time France woke up to the EU, as all cars sold in the EU must have homologation in all states. You will even have a little plate riveted to the bodywork to prove it.

For the car mentioned above, we (on the advice of the local Peugeot dealer) wrote to Peugeot at Automobiles Peugeot, Service Identification, Administration des Vehicles, BP01, 75761 PARIS CEDEX 16, enclosing a photocopy of the registration document, (or in our case the DVLA export certificate) showing the VIN. We got a certificate without any charge.

There is a dealer in Belgium who can be found via eBay if you do a LHD search who sounds very genuine. He will pick you up at the airport and regester the car for you etc. Good luck.

I bought a J reg LHD Merc on eBay last year (not from him) which has air conditioning - essential for those south of the Loire. Less so at this time of year, I guess.

Hi.

We just bought a Volvo V70 Turbo estate which is French registered with all paperwork.

We found it on the internet and it was one of a number of foreign reg vehicles being sold by Heathrow Cars. We had to go to Heathrow to view it but it was worth the trip as the price was really good.The salesman was French and really helpful.

Regards. Les.

Just an update on the Certificate of Conformity for Peugot cars.  I was advised by our local Peugot dealer here in the U.K to ring the following number to organise this. 02476 883000.  I need to send them proof of ownership and the vehicle ID number and they will then issue me with one.  (This only applies to Peugot cars).  Hopefully this is one less problem to sort when we register the car in France!

Pat