I often wondered ....

Daktari

why motor-cyclists in France stick a leg out & "shake it all about" when overtaking [;)]

Now I know .... http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2006/01/28/pfolie28.xml&DCMP=EMC-exp_30012006

A few other helpful observations on French driving also listed!

When a motorcyclist overtakes and wants to acknowledge, his left hand is hidden by his body, I nearly said 'on the wrong side', which it plainly isn't. It would be more natural to use the right hand but this is holding the throttle, and letting go would result in the throttle closing immediately - not very desirable.

When 2 motorcyclists pass in opposite directions they usually give a casual left hand wave with the hand low just off the handlebar, 2 fingers pointing down, meaning "2 wheels good" or similar.

Sid (motorcyclist - and the drivers here are very respectful of motorcyclists and pedal cyclists - fantastic!) 

The leg wiggle is a thank you using your mirrors and getting the f*** out of the way. I still find it hard to do this after years of doing it 'The British Way' but than so few French drivers use there mirrors it is not something I worry about. The difference in France, biker wise is that there are far less bikers who gave up riding a 20 and started again at 40+ on a sports bike, so the is a better overall standard of riding.

Riding the Duke and keeping it real.

I suggest that depends entirely on the region. I travelled daily from St Germain en Laye on the A13 east into Paris and on the Peripherique from 1998 until 2003 and I can assure you that the French 'motards' are much less sensible and much more aggressive than those I had left behind in Herefordshire or now encounter in Portsmouth! I, too, adopted the leg wave as a very useful way of thanking other road users, shame it's not used here in the UK.