Essential Documents in car.

David

I wondere if anyone can clarify exactly what documents must be carried when driving.

We have just bought another car, and now have two.  To simplify documents I took photocopies of carte gris, control technic, insurance, driving licence and passport to the Marie for annotation.  They very gently refused saying that new laws in France did not require the photocopies to be notated by the Marie.  They said it was sufficient to carry ordinary photocopies, and if stopped by the gendarms, we would be given time to produce the originals.  (The Marie would notate documents for use in another country).

At the bank collecting the insurance papers, they were adamant that we had to carry in the car all original documents.  They did caution us not to leave any original documents in the car.

Who is correct?

Thanks,

David

Given the quite expensive hologram on a carte grise and the ease with which digital images can now be manipulated I would only expect the Gendarmes to accept originals. You need a Passport or CdI to check signatures what is the problem with the originals in the car ?

Every car I have owned since the 1970s has had either an extra electronic or mechanical fuel cut out fitted.

You need to carry the following original documents when driving your car:

- Driving licence

- Carte Grise

- Insurance attestation

Photocopies are only acceptable for hire cars.

Penalties for non compliance are set down in the Code de la Route:

Failure to produce obligatory papers (driving licence, carte grise) is a class 1 offence - 11 euros fixed fine.  You then have five days in which to take your papers to the police station otherwise it's a class 4 offence - 135 euros fixed fine.

Failure to produce insurance attestation or attach the certificate to your windscreen is a class 2 offence - 35 euros fixed fine. Likewise, five days to produce, otherwise a class 4 offence.

Best not to leave any documents in an unattended car - what do you think those men's handbags are for?  [;-)]

I was recently stopped by the police near Cahors and had to produce the carte gris and my driving licence (both parts if the new photo id). They checked the controle technique and the insurance in the windscreen, checked the car was ok which it was and sent me on my way.[:)]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

You need to carry the following original documents when driving your car:

- Driving licence

- Carte Grise

- Insurance attestation

Failure to produce insurance attestation or attach the certificate to your windscreen is a class 2 offence

[/quote]

SD could you clarify please - do you need to carry both the insurance attestation AND the wee cut-out  certificate on the windscreen?

I'll reply for SD.  Yes, Cassis  you do have to carry the paper which gives your details and cover etc and have the little certificate in the window.  Often if the sticker is in order they will not ask for the papers but you do have to have them in the car.

I had a breathliser test the other day, first time ever in the world.  No checks of car or papers.  It went like this

6ft 9" Gendarme stepped out at traffic lights and in a voice like Hermann Munster growled

" ALCOOOL"

"EXCUSEZ -MOI"

"ALCOOOL "

Then shoving instrument towards my face " GONFLAGEZ,  GONFLAGEZ , CONTINUER"

"HURRR " 

"ALLEZ"

I thanked the officer for his trouble and politeness wished him a very good evening and proceeded on my way[:P]

Make sure you also have a spare tyre and jack. That your tyres are in good order, All the glass is clean ( I once saw a guy made to walk 2kms to the nearest shop to buy water and a rag so he could clean his lights).

Now it is tourist season they are out in force pulling cars over. Saw 5 check points today on my drive from the Corbieres to Castelnaudrey and back. Lucky I have a local number plate :-) so was not stopped.

What a pity that our old codger of a Marie was wrong, and that there is no new law allowing drivers to carry photocopies (plus the insurance and CT on the windscreen), and then provide the originals at the prefecture some time later (I think he said within five days).  With two cars and two drivers it would have been simpler.  Wishful thinking perhaps, as after travelling around the world a few times, I have a horror of both carrying and losing original documents (theft, mugging and forgetfulness for example).

As the subject of equipment has been brought up, can anyone say definitively what equipment is legally required to be carried in a French registered left hand drive private car in France?  For example fire extinguishers, first aid kits, triangles, etc.

Would this be different for a private UK car right hand drive but registered in France with French plates, insurance and CT?

Re spare tyres, I should perhaps clarify that you do not nessarily need to carry a spare trye in France.  Our car came without a spare tyre, but with a pressure gel can to inject into the tyre, and a small compressor to re-inflate the tyre.  All very fiddly, and it only lasts for 50 k, to get to a garage, then buy a new tyre!  I must say that I prefer the spare tyre and jack, then repair the flat tyre.  The argument seems to be that you have more room in the boot, and that it saves the cost of buying and carrying a spare.  The car also came with one triangle, (two needed for Spain) and no first aid kit or fire extinguisher.

Many thanks,

David

There are no special equipment requirements for driving a car in France.  There is no difference between LHD and RHD vehicles, wherever they are registered - the rules are the same.

Warning triangles are only compulsory if you do not have hazard warning lights.  First aid kits, spare bulbs and fire extinguishers are recommended from a general safety view.