Don't even know what they're called in English!!

sid

I would like to buy a set of 'punch' tools to mark our caravan chassis with its serial number prior to attempting registration. I've no idea what the tools are called in English, never mind French!! [:$] They're like a small centrepunch with an embossed letter/number and you get a set A-Z, 0-9.

Anybody know what they're called , and more importantly where to get them? Niort or Angouleme would be good.

Sid

I don't know what they are called either, but we had to use them to punch our names onto our work in Metalwork CSE...

Edit - they are called letter and number punches, and Axminster sell them at between £5.49 and £16.49 a set depending on size.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/name/punch/sfile/1/jump/16/product-Axminster-Letter-and-Number-Punches-22576.htm

I don't know if they deliver to France, though.

(Links still won't work - you'll have to cut and paste)

[url=http://www.axminster.co.uk/name/punch/sfile/1/jump/16/product-Axminster-Letter-and-Number-punches-22576.htm] Axminster web link[/url]

Overseas Delivery

Orders to be delivered overseas will not display a carriage charge when placing an order online. When we receive the order it will go on hold, a delivery cost will be worked out and we will then contact you with the total cost and ask if you wish to go ahead with the order.

I just created a manual hyperlink and typed in the URL address.  I don't tend to use the forum's automated hyperlink facility.

I wonder if you've actually pasted an existing hyperlink within your own hyperlink.  The link might not recognise nested html instructions.

If you see what I mean.....[blink]

Hey, thanks guys, I can see that you've been searching while I've been away!

"Poincon" (with the cedilla under the 'c') seems to be correct, "die stamp" was what I was looking for in English. Sometimes I feel caught in a time warp, can't find the French word and can't remember the English word either!!! [8-)]

Thanks for the UK links, it looks as if I'll have to order from there because I can't find anything by mail order over here... the Franch don't seem to be into internet trading properly yet.

On checking my chassis number I'll get away with just a numeric set, so the postage shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks again guys

Sid

[quote user="sid"]

Hey, thanks guys, I can see that you've been searching while I've been away!

"Poincon" (with the cedilla under the 'c') seems to be correct, "die stamp" was what I was looking for in English. Sometimes I feel caught in a time warp, can't find the French word and can't remember the English word either!!! [8-)]

Thanks for the UK links, it looks as if I'll have to order from there because I can't find anything by mail order over here... the Franch don't seem to be into internet trading properly yet.

On checking my chassis number I'll get away with just a numeric set, so the postage shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks again guys

Sid

[/quote]

I would check that again, even if your chassis No. doesn't have any letters which I doubt, i think that most caravan chassis numbers are 17 digits long, a mix of letters and numbers, unless your caravan is very old.

Also you would need to stamp, Type: No. de serie: PTAC and KG

I suggest it would be better to make up a plate with all the requirements on it and attach that to the chassis in a easily accessible position mine is in the front locker on the chassis

Les

My caravan is 15 years old but in excellent condition; we feel it's worth a try to get it registered. The advice I've been given by another caravan owner who has registered a similar van in our departement is that a chassis plate is not acceptable (it already has one of those) but the chassis number must be engarved or punched into the 'A' frame on the righthand side (nearside for France). There are no letters in the chassis or serial number. These were the instructions from the chap at DRIRE Niort. I know differnet departments interpret the regulations in different ways but this is local information. There are all sorts of tales about the impossibility of registering UK 'vans, for example the door is on the wrong side... every French car has at least 1 door on the wrong side!!

Anyway, back to the die stamps. I've placed an order with Axminster but not yet received an indication of the postage.

Val2... I tried Outiror, they have a website, but I can't find 'poincons'. Maybe another company has them but I'm running short of time.

Regards

Sid

They are called "jeu de chiffres et lettres" and are available from www.otelo.com catalogue page 1317. I have a business account with them but am not sure if they sell to the general public. They cost between 21 euros up to 62 euros hors tax for each set depending on letter size. I may be able to order thm for you, if you cannot get them yourself.

regards,

Punch.

Hi Punch

Thanks for the link, I'll save it for future reference. I've already placed an order with Axminster and the total cost including postage is £10.15 for a numeric set.

Regards

Sid

"I know differnet departments interpret the regulations in different ways but this is local information"

There is no doubt about that, this caravan was registered in Perigeux and the plate was attached to the chassis in the front locker no probs.

I now know after researching that the Plaque de tare et de surface is not enforcable on caravans, you learn something everyday.

Too late for you I guess but may be of interest to someone. Just received our latest "camion catalogue" - from Euro Vanadium this time. They advertise the punch sets as Les marques a frapper and a set of 26 letters and 10 numbers is €11.50. Web site is www.eurovanadium.fr and the catalogue reference is 01061.  happy stamping

[:)] 

• 1 month later...

Hi. I am new to this forum writing malarky but have read many interesting and helpfull observations.

We are moving our caravan to france and trust the following may be of help.

An article in caravan club mag member .suggested that following his visit to DRIRE the helpfull people there said the paperwork needed was

Proof of ownership

Specification of caravan i.e certificate of conformaty(available from chassis makers)- specification of van.

Vin number.

Get van weighed and weighbridge ticket autherised at local Maire,wait for appointment to return to DRIRE for inspection.

Then if aok get plaque made showing MTPLM weight. Nose weight and Vin number. Attach it to r/h side of A frame.

Hope this is of help

Let me know i`ll be there myself one day

regards

pete c

Pete

I've just spotted that this thread has been added to...

It should be reasonably straightforward to register an English caravan IF you have all the necessary documents. The problem arises with older 'vans, like ours, which were manufactured before certificates of conformity were even thought of.

I have to get my 'van modified now; new marker lamps and side (orange) reflectors. BUT the most tricky bit is to get it tested for gas and electrical conformity. In order to do this I have to take the 'van to a testing station, the nearestone being 50 miles away, and it's illegal to tow an unregistered or UK plated 'van with a French car!! A bit of a problem then!! I've had to shelve the plans for now as I've got other more pressing jobs to take care of. Maybe a job for the autumn.

Sid