Unlimited time abroad UK insurance

Keith Wilson

I read an article recently which included some interesting information: Saga, Primary insurance, Nationwide building society, Lloyds TSB, help the aged and Churchill do not have a limit on the time spent abroad and cover for driving abroad is automatically included.

Also, I have just spoken to Churchill and they do not even ask whether the vehicle is LHD, it does not affect the premium!!

You are all correct, having tried to get quotes, their "FULL COVER" turned out to be minimum cover for upto 90 days!!

I was just repeating info from an obviously flawed article. Sorry [:(]

Unlike many companies Saga also do not require one to inform them when travelling abroad, the full Comprehensive insurance remains in place. An important point to note is that many companies will allow travel abroad without additional charges but unless you inform them each time you travel the cover will reduce from Comprehensive to the minimum third required in the EU in event of a claim.

Baz

[quote user="Keith Wilson"]

I read an article recently which included some interesting information: Saga, Primary insurance, Nationwide building society, Lloyds TSB, help the aged and Churchill do not have a limit on the time spent abroad and cover for driving abroad is automatically included.

Also, I have just spoken to Churchill and they do not even ask whether the vehicle is LHD, it does not affect the premium!!

[/quote]

If you remain UK resident then no problems, when I told Saga that i was now resident in France they would not renew my policy, because the insurance was only available to UK residents.

It pays to read the small print.

When I lived in the UK I had a LHD German Hymer motorhome insured with Saga.  Made no difference to the premium - why should it?

Besides you tell us you're moving to France, buying a French registered truck, etc.  Why are you enquiring about UK insurance.  It's usually cheaper here in France in any case.

Ah, the old "unlimited cover" chestnut. Check the details carefully, I have nationwide car insurance and I can tell you there is definitely a limit on the amount of time you can spend on each trip to France (90 days per trip) although the annual total might well be unlimited.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Churchill Policy Documentation.

We will automatically extend the territorial limits of this policy to include any member country of the European Union, Andorra,

Norway, Republic of Croatia and Switzerland. We will also cover your vehicle while it is being carried by a recognised carrier

between any countries which the insurance applies to as long as the journey does not take longer than 65 hours under normal

conditions. Cover in these countries only applies if your main,permanent home is in the United Kingdom and your visit abroad

is for less than 90 days.