Speeding fines

Ann33

Hi, My husband has just received notification of a speeding fine. The first form notifies us of the fine and details of speeding. ( Avis de Contravention au Code de la Route)  The second form is titled "Formulaire de Requete en Exconeration".Can anyone tell us if we need to do anything with this second form, as we think it means you only fill it in if you are appealing against the fine? In which case we believe we only go to our local Tresor and pay the fine. We have a French Registered vehicle and have EU british driving liscenses. Do we just have to pay the fine and then see what happens?  Would be grateful for some advice. Thanking you

Ann

As the titulaire of the carte grise, your husband is deemed to be the driver and therefore responsible for paying the fine.  If he was not driving the vehicle at the time of the offence, then he needs to fill in the exoneration request form with the actual driver's details and send it off.  As Saddie says, pay the fine quickly - or it goes up!

Your husband may receive a separate instruction to exchange his UK licence for a French one so that they can deduct any penalty points, although they do not always apply this process to French resident UK licence holders who commit minor speeding offences attracting only one point.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Your husband may receive a separate instruction to exchange his UK licence for a French one so that they can deduct any penalty points, although they do not always apply this process to French resident UK licence holders who commit minor speeding offences attracting only one point.

[/quote]

Yes, I got a fine some months ago and having paid it, didn't get a points deduction.

You can buy 'postage stamp' amende payments in most Tabacs, stick it on the form and send it off.  Seems to work. 

[quote user="Ian Horn"]

You can buy 'postage stamp' amende payments in most Tabacs, stick it on the form and send it off.  Seems to work. 

[/quote]

Yes, that's what I did - I was a bit worried because the fine amount had been altered by hand, and the guy in the Tabac said that the powers that be would never accept the form like that, but I heard nothing back to the contrary......... and I was also told at the time of being stopped that I HAD to change my UK licence for a French one - a very simple procedure.

Chris