Registering a RHD car?

thepoms

It is rubbish, as said.    And if you follow the excellent and much detailed advice on the forum of how to undertake the process (primarily thanks to Sunday Driver) then actually it is easy.     After listening to all of the horror stories, I couldnt believe how easy it turned out to be, as long as you ensure you read up on the process, and that you have ALL the correct paperwork ready when you start the process, then it is nothing like as complicated as some people would have you believe (possibly with exception of some makes of cars, but there is plenty of information on the site regarding that scenario also).

AFAIK the fact that a car is RHD is irrelevant other than for headlamp dipping purposes. When/where the car was assembled and/or previously registered can be a stumbling block e.g. newish European = fairly easy, Asian (particularly grey import) probably difficult, expensive or just not worth the grief = possibility.

My advice to all is to take yourself and your log book to Prefecture and ask them for a list of documents that they will need to re-register the beast in France. As you will see from other threads on this site the interpretation of national rules can vary from dept to dept and person to person in France.

John

not

Thanks all for your help, initially I was concerned about RHD but I'm now more worried about my other car which is a 2003 LHD Landcruiser that I imported to the UK from Kuwait.  It was mine from new and I did have it converted to pass the DVLA conformity test but will no doubt have to do something similar in France.  I think it'll be worth the hassle though as we love the car.

Andy Pom

The list of documents needed to register a car in France are those set out in the link above.  The process described there was compiled from official sources and is common to the whole of metropolitan France.

Your LHD ex-Kuwait Landcruiser will need to pass a French single vehicle type approval inspection (reception de titre isole).  For that, you will have to obtain a certificate of partial conformity or non-conformity from Toyota France which you then submit to the DRIRE.  They will review the technical specification and call the car in for an inspection.  The process is similar to that which you experienced in the UK.

The rest of the registration process is as described in the link.