Car Insurance

Carina

Hello

Can anyone please tell me approximatley how much it costs to insure a car in France. We are moving permanantly to France in August, I intend to register my car in France, I am aged 57 drive a 2 year old Volvo V70 Diesel and have 8 years UK no claim discount.  Axa have quoted me 1080 Euros' - did I do something wrong or tell them something wrong. I was under the impression that car insurance in France was cheaper than in the UK!

I would be grateful for any help - thank you

Carina

I am aged 58, male (!), clean licence for 40 years, live in a rural location and have a 2000 BMW 525d (11CV) which is insured with MAAF.  Toutes risques with full 50% bonus for 680 euros per annum.  I also have my camping car insured with them, for which AXA quoted a premium 50% dearer.....

Shop around  [;-)]

Visit all the agencies locally in person to get quotes,you may be surprised and watch the franchise (excess) as some are double the amounts others demand. Sounds over the top for your vehicle but then that company isn't exactly the cheapest anyway. As for verbal no claims from you, they prefer to see it in writing from your UK insurers and will insist on that anyway when you come to buy insurance here.

I am a 62 y/o retired male with a Peugeot 407 HDI Auto 2 Litre, car is now just over 2 years old and was imported from UK.

My insurance is 644 Euros PA with AXA including my 50% NCB.

I brought letters from UK Insurance to effect I had no claims in previous 14 years.

More2Learn.

"My insurance is 644 Euros PA with AXA including my 50% NCB".[:-))]

I'd go back to AXA and ask for a recount M2 L.

I only pay 453 € fully comp free car breakdown insurance etc with CA and that includes only two years no claims I'm still paying off a write off in Feb 2004.  Your quote confirms what SD said, you need to shop around, the car insurance and house insurance market is getting very competitive in France.  Maybe AXA are loading you for a RHD as parts may be expensive

276 euros toutes risks for a 2002 Skoda Octavia Estate 1.9 TDI after NCD with AXA. Including european breakdown cover

It was only about 40 euros more than I paid the year before for responsibilite civile.

Shop around!

Editted J'ai quarante sept ans.

Try Direct Assurance - it's the French version of Direct Line. I'm 34 with a 0.76 bonus and pay about 540 euros fully comp with breakdown for a 2001 Saab 2.2 Tid 7cv and about 630 euros fully comp for a 2007 Ibiza Tdi FR130, also 7cv. That's with a manageable excess, although I can't remember the figure. Everything's done online although they did require an insurance expert assess my Saab before insuring it - checking I hadn't put a big spoiler on the back perhaps... Certainly get a certificate of your UK no claims bonus - I didn't and had to be classed as a 'young driver' for 2 years despite never having had an accident. Diesel cars tend to be lower 'cv' for the equivalent power, so my old BMW 325TDS was 7cv, despite having 150bhp. My petrol Golf was 8cv with a puny 90bhp.

I used to pay a lot more - around 1000 euros - until I really really shopped around. Direct Assurance won't insure it while it's on UK plates, so you may have to go with a more expensive firm until you've done the papers. Take care, because you can only cancel your insurance once a year at the renewal date unless you sell the car.

Above all, enjoy driving here, it just so much more fun than in the UK!

JR - that's a bargain, well done! I bought the Seat over the Skoda Fabia vRS because the insurance was 300 euros lower for the Seat...

I have just checked to make sure the figure was correct, I pay 287.86 euros, the car is rated at 6CV and the franchise for fire, theft and accident is 400 euros.

My majoration coefficient is 0.5 which I thought was the maximum, I gave them something like 12 years proof of bonus, you say you have 0.76, should I be asking for a further reduction?

Or is it perhaps a marketing ploy by that company offering a higher discount on an elevated price?

Another interesting thing is that last year when my French was not as good I am sure that I was quoted 400 euros (and at more then one broker) but perhaps I didn't understand that I would get the 50% off the gross premium.

As I said above, this year I am paying only about 40-50 euros more for toutes risques than I did last year for responsibilite civile from the same AXA broker.

Why is everyone paying so much more?

[quote user="Sunday Driver"][quote user="J.R."]

Why is everyone paying so much more?

[/quote]

Because our big cars are more powerful than yours.  6CV?  Pah........[;-)]

[/quote]

It's not what you have got but how you use it as I try (without success) to explain to the girls!

How many CV would my Blackbird engined Caterham be?

The registration problems aside I might get cheap insurance?

If you're resident in France then try the mutuelles - MAAF, MACIF, MATMUT,  etc ... I have 2001 Renault Megane DTi and it's got every option going with MACIF for 426 a year (& I'm usually more expensive as I drive for work and am travailleur independant which they take into account!)

Shop around, beware of AXA, AGF etc they are paying shareholders & if you insured your house through them with the agent holding your hand you're paying even more - you're best off insuring all your 'belongings' & health with one insurer.  I've moved several of my clients when they've become resident and they've got very similar policies as before but for a lot less!

[quote user="Audois"] beware of AXA, AGF etc they are paying shareholders & if you insured your house through them with the agent holding your hand you're paying even more

[/quote]

I cant agree, I have just insured a new flat built on to my property with AXA

2 pieces principales, 60m2, Building and 10.000 euros contents for an annual premium of 90 euros

I was quite pleased with it but perhaps others can advise if it is too much.