changing number plates from british to french.

paris

please can somebody put me right,  i am sure they will!  i have been told that the new rule for changing plates is as follows:  one has 30 days from when the insurance runs out on the car.  i have to go back to the uk soon and have decided to drive, therefore i know i have to change the plates to french as i have french insurance and no british tax.  sooo i have been to the prefecture and i now have my carte gris, my conformity thingy, copy of my passport, atessation thing from the imports place,  a cheque,  an envelope with 3.40 euros.  i think that is all, well that is what i have been told i need.  is this correct. help please.  thank u..paris[8-)]

If I am reading this correctly, you have done all that you need to at the prefecture and have hence been given a carte gris for the car. So now you take the carte gris along to your nearest reg plate seller (who usually also does key cutting etc) and pay them to make up some plates for you - they will either do them then and there or else tell you to collect them in an hour. Then you need to either mount them yourself on your car - remembering to RIVET them and NOT to use UK-style bolts - or else you drive round to your nearest car mechanic who will do the job for you for a pittance or less. Why wait? In fact once you have the carte gris your should really get the new plates on asap ...

Regards

Pickles

Paris

The rule for changing plates hasn't changed - it is 30 days from taking up permanent residence in France. The insurance running out has nothing to do with it.

From what you say, it sounds as if you have all the documents you need to re-register the car (I'm assuming your V5C is the "carte grise" that the prefecture have mentioned to you), so if you revisit your prefecture and fill in a demande de certificat d'immatriculation form and hand them all over, you can walk out with your new carte grise.

The UK log book (ie the V5C) is the foreign registration document (certificat d'immatriculation etranger) for the car.  That's what the prefecture want from you in order to register it here.  In France, the generic term for this document is a carte grise (grey card).....

Sorry Paris, but from what you are now saying, you are starting from scratch. You have to take all the documents (identified previously) to your local Prefecture where, with luck they will issue you with a Carte Gris.

When you have this, again as stated above, you can then obtain your french plates.

There is a charge to be paid at the prefecture and it's calculated from the puissance number (it's shown on the Certificate de Conformity). I stand to be corrected on this figure but I think the formula is now (Puissance No. x 35 €'s). This is a one-off payment.

Good luck.....................................[:)]

Reading back through this thread, it's confusing.

I understand you have not yet registered your car here, so these are the documents you'll need to hand over at your prefecture's motor vehicle department (look for the sign "cartes grises"):

- Demande de certificat d'immatriculation (application form for registration of a vehicle - they will be in a dispenser near the counter)

- V5C registration document (that's the UK log book)

- Certificate of conformity

- Quittus fiscale VAT certificate (the one you got from your tax office)

- Controle technique certificate (if your car is over four years old)

- Original purchase invoice/receipt

- Passport

- Utility bill.

Once the papers have been processed, you'll get a chitty to take to the caisse where you pay the fee (cash, cheque or credit card).  They'll print off your new carte grise (that's your new French registration document) and you walk out.  Next thing is to visit your local cordonniere shop (keys/handbags etc), show them the carte grise, and they'll make up a set of new number plates for you.

It's a simple as that........

Sorry to stray off topic, SD but just a quick question.  I'm within the proverbial gnat's whotsit of getting my ducks in a row with my old Landy.  As it has been off the road now for several months while the DVLA traced all the documents, it does not have its CT.  Do I need to get this done in advance of changing registration, and if so, can it be driven to the centre unregistered as in the UK, provided that it is going just to get the certificate?

As SD hasn't appeared yet I'll add my 2p worth. This is what we were advised - hope it is right.

You will need a current CT to register the vehicle,  so go and make an appointment with your local CT place and ask them to write down on their headed appointment card the date and time of the test - ours is usually next day at the moment - and keep that with you when you take the vehicle to the test centre. This should cover you if you are stopped.

Sue

If you are putting the Landy on the road, you'll need to get a quittus fiscale import certificate from your local tax office.  If you check the back of the document, you'll find that it sets out your authority to drive the vehicle on it's UK plates for a month whilst you sort out the registration formalities.  If you are stopped by the G's then that's what you need to show them.

It covers you to drive to the CT station - and you can even trundle along to the prefecture in it........[:)]