Driving in France

Sunshine

Bonjour! I am new to forums so please bear with me!  I am trying to find out about the regulations concerning living in france with a UK driving licence and/or equivalent french licence.  I know of someone who now lives in France permanently and drives there (dont know what sort of licence they have, just a car one!).  They are complaining of not being able to drive to collect people from the airport as they have a back condition which is liable to spasm whilst driving which would cause an accident!!!  I am very worried that this person should not have a driving licence at all if this is the case!!  Does anyone know who they should contact with regards to conditions that should be notified if they have a french licence??  Unfortunately I am an English speaker only (years and years of failed french courses  to my embarrasment)  so an english site would be best for me.  Many thanks.

He can drive on his UK licence. 

I have looked at the Code Rousseau and it states that certain medical conditions (it only specifies deafness and the loss of an eye but there are probably more by the look of it) require a medical examination in order to get a French licence but he won't need one unless he gets points.

However, if he is contravening the conditions of his UK licence (which is in effect a European one) then he should not be driving, and would be flouting the law wherever he drives.  The condition has probably developed during the life of his licence so he can probably get away with this until it expires.  Much as people whose sight is failing but who don't bother to go to an optician and get their it checked, are doing!

Here is the relevant information as it pertains to his UK licence

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/medical/aagv1.pdf

Many thanks for the information!  I will look up the dvla regulations to check with them!  In UK you have to change the address on your driving licence within 6 months of moving, as he is now in France and has been for over a year, and I understand they wont put a non UK address on a driving licence, how does this work??  Maybe the dvla website can help.

Thanks

I asked this question of the DVLA when I moved.  I have a letter from them which states categorically that there is no need (indeed it is not possible) to change your address to your French one. They suggested I handwrite my new address in the box provided for a change of address, but not that I notify anybody.  It is not an identity document, merely proof that you are licenced to drive a vehicle.

There is no specific legal ruling covering your friend's back trouble.  However, he appears to be very responsible in declaring that he is not willing to drive, in case it causes an accident.

There again, it could just be a ploy to avoid having family/friends fly over for extended holiday visits....... 

Sunshine, who would you report this guy to?  The DVLA most certainly wont take his licence away from him and to be honest, the French authorities wont want to know unless he actually commits an offence in France - and even then, you'll have to persuade the local Police/Gendarmerie that he's worth pursuing, if you're not even living in France you have no chance of doing so.  With the instances of back pain and spasm in the UK, you'd loose quite a number of drivers in the UK if it was made a notifiable condition.

As most Brits who break the law with uninsured or equally illegal cars can get away with it because the Gendarmes are too busy with other crimes, the chances of anybody doing anything about this are nil - rather than dob him in, can't you have a word with him tho be prepared to get a mouthful if you do.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

There is no specific legal ruling covering your friend's back trouble.  However, he appears to be very responsible in declaring that he is not willing to drive, in case it causes an accident.

There again, it could just be a ploy to avoid having family/friends fly over for extended holiday visits....... 

[/quote]

I have a feeling its probably a case of CDD - Convenient Driving Disability!

[quote user="J.R."]So if he does agree to pick you up from the airport will you still try to shop him and take away his mobility?[/quote]

This is not the reason for my enquiries, I am just curious as to what the process is in France as opposed to England.  It is, after all, in everyones best interests to declare whether you are fit to drive a potentially lethal weapon as I am sure most people would agree.

In reality a Driver can be reported to the DVLA by any person who considers that person to be a liability on the road.

Obviously it helps if that person is someone either Medically Trained or is a Police Officer. Their opinion is acted upon ( I know that for a fact as I have done it myself ).

Usually though they will write to the last known address, so if they are now in France it wont help. But they can revoke a licence if they feel it necessary.

David

[quote user="David"]In reality a Driver can be reported to the DVLA by any person who considers that person to be a liability on the road.

David
[/quote]Goodness, I know hundreds![:D]  Can one report interfering o/h's in the passenger seat too?[6]