Car insurance needed for car in France PLEASE HELP!

cazza

Hi

Please can anyone help.

I bought a car in the UK for export, it is a right-hand drive. I brought it to France.

I am in the process of having it registered in France.

Meanwhile, I need to get French car insurance - my car is currently on British export plates but, once registered in France (and this is pending), will be on French diplomatic plates.

I have tried online quotes but this seems to be a complicated scenario and I am having trouble.

Any advice or suggestions REALLY welcome.

Thanks!

Thanks Tony, I've tried them already! Hence the post. It seems that most buy cars once here rather than in UK and then exporting (I can understand why, it's so complicated). I needed a car prior to coming and couldn't face bringing an old one, having to sell it here when UK spec, and then buying a French one, so I did it this way round.....

cazza

I think Tony meant that you should ask your diplomatic colleagues who they insure their cars with.  There's no difference between insuring a French bought car and an imported UK car.

Alternatively, you could have a wander around town and pop into the various insurance agencies and ask them for quotes.  When you find the quote that suits you, you sign the contract and direct debit, and they'll issue a temporary insurance certificate under your UK registration number.  Once you've obtained your new carte grise, they'll then issue you a full certificate under your new French registration number. 

Simple process, really....[:)]

I'm not sure about the French insurance system but, you should be able to sort it out by speaking to the insurance companies of your choice. Using the internet for quotes is only good if there is no complications and if you can successfully fill the form properly, If not use the phone!

You should not have any problems obtaining insurance within reason. Even if the car was not registered you should be able to insure it on the chassis number.

• 2 weeks later...