Car repair charge

Jackie

Hi,

I have recently moved to France permanently and being a single female I wish I had had a bit more time to look around for a mechanic that wasn't affiliated to a Citroen garage. My car passed its MOT in the UK in May with no problems whatsoever. I came over to France in September and did my bit to get the car into the French system. Sadly when it went for its control technique it failed on brake problems. It cost me 697€ to get it passed because they found(?) something else wrong with the brakes when doing the job. Needless to say in future it won't be going back to the Citroen garage who, by the way, also charged me 460€ for the carte grise and associated costs. Naive I may be but rich I ain't.  Shop around, they will always give you a devis (estimate).

cartref

[quote user="Bob T"]That seems a huge amount, why not ask at your local Fau Verte? [/quote]

I think Bob might have meant Feu Vert - at least I hope he did - which is a chain where you can get tyres, brakes, small services done etc etc. They have branches all over France - you can find them online or in Pages Jaunes.

Sue

In France the price of car spares parts are much dearer than in the UK and more regulated, the price you have been quoted seems to be about right for France because you will have a complete change of brake shoes, wheel cylinders,brake adjusters, and springs, much more common here than the UK to sell a complete brake kit, in fact you will have great difficulty trying to buy brake shoes without all of the above.

[quote user="derf"]In France the price of car spares parts are much dearer than in the UK and more regulated, the price you have been quoted seems to be about right for France because you will have a complete change of brake shoes, wheel cylinders,brake adjusters, and springs, much more common here than the UK to sell a complete brake kit, in fact you will have great difficulty trying to buy brake shoes without all of the above.
[/quote]

eh?

I replaced the rear shoes on my sisters Megane Scenic here recently. I got the shoes from the parts shop just as I would have done in the UK. A bit dearer yes, but no problems buying just what I needed. Same goes for the front pads on my Landrover a while back. Infact, I have never encountered any difficulties buying any parts here and found it all to be on a par with UK regarding availability.

For the original poster - 300euro seems to be well over the odds for just shoe replacement. iirc I paid 90euros for the rear shoes for the Scenic. I dont know what your local garages labour rate is, but if a renault mechanic cant change a set of shoes in under an hour I would be very worried.

This assumes that the shoes are the only things to change, obviuously costs will rise f they replace other parts. Unless wear is very bad or there are otjher problems though its unlikely to need much else.

[quote user="derf"]In France the price of car spares parts are much dearer than in the UK and more regulated, the price you have been quoted seems to be about right for France because you will have a complete change of brake shoes, wheel cylinders,brake adjusters, and springs, much more common here than the UK to sell a complete brake kit, in fact you will have great difficulty trying to buy brake shoes without all of the above.
[/quote]

eh?

I replaced the rear shoes on my sisters Megane Scenic here recently. I got the shoes from the parts shop just as I would have done in the UK. A bit dearer yes, but no problems buying just what I needed. Same goes for the front pads on my Landrover a while back. Infact, I have never encountered any difficulties buying any parts here and found it all to be on a par with UK regarding availability.

For the original poster - 300euro seems to be well over the odds for just shoe replacement. iirc I paid 90euros for the rear shoes for the Scenic. I dont know what your local garages labour rate is, but if a renault mechanic cant change a set of shoes in under an hour I would be very worried.

This assumes that the shoes are the only things to change, obviuously costs will rise f they replace other parts. Unless wear is very bad or there are otjher problems though its unlikely to need much else.

Thanks for the info folks. I will try the Feu Verte in Niort.

On the detail shown on the Devis is listed the following:  Replacement des garnitures et des cylindres de roue arriere (I assume this means replacing linings and the rear wheel cylinders though not sure of this), purging brake circuit, road testing,  for which they want  90.80 + VAT, and I assume this is the labour cost which seems very reasonable, and then something else which I am not too sure I am translating properly.

It reads COLL. FREIN AR.PRE for which they want to charge 155 Euros +VAT . They have used abreviations on the Devis and I assume that COLL could be short for gluing and AR for rear, PRE? Sounds as if they are charging for gluing new linings on the shoes, can this be right? Maybe COLL means something else like collection of parts. All seems a bit odd to me or am I being thick? I thought these were available off the shelf.  Other small charges are included for brake fluid and brake cleaning fluid................................J