lending a trailer

Dave&Olive

hi ok

My mate wants to use my trailer , but how does the insurance cover work ,  it`s French reged and I have it covered on my insurance ( because it`s over 750 kg ) but does he have to get his own insurance for it because I am sure his will say he is only covered to 750 kg .

hope this makes sense

Dave

I'm guessing here that it may be something more than a local job otherwise you'd probably just do it for him for the cost of the fuel or whatever so, as with all things insurance related, if in doubt your mate should contact his own insurer then there can be no misunderstanding or dispute if the worst should happen.

It may be that he has to pay a modest premium to have it added to his own cover but it's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

At the end of the day neither of you want to find yourself saying " I never thought it would happen to me" do you !

As an aside, I'm about to embark on registering my 1700kg trailer (SVA) and there's one general point I've wondered about; does a trailer get it's own unique registration number or adopt that of the towing vehicle, effectively becoming a pair with it ?

In the former case if any traffic offences are recorded against it whilst loaned out they will come back to you. Additionally I've seen no reference in the registration process to the proposed towing vehicle.

In the latter case you would be using a trailer with a number which differs from that on it's Carte Grise which doesn't seem right either.

Finally, if you do need a new number plate for a 3rd party to use it can you just walk in off the street and get one made up without the support documentation ?  

[quote user="ErnieY"]

As an aside, I'm about to embark on registering my 1700kg trailer (SVA) and there's one general point I've wondered about; does a trailer get it's own unique registration number or adopt that of the towing vehicle, effectively becoming a pair with it ?

Trailers over 500kg must be registered in their own right, have their own carte grise and their own registration number.  Trailers up to 500kg use the same number as the towing vehicle, so if a mate borrows it, he must fit his own plate to it.

In the former case if any traffic offences are recorded against it whilst loaned out they will come back to you. Additionally I've seen no reference in the registration process to the proposed towing vehicle.

If the person borrowing the trailer commits a moving traffic offence (eg, speeding), then it's down to them.  If the offence involves just the trailer (eg, non-compliance with construction regulations) then the trailer owner may well be liable.  It's the same as when someone borrows a car where the CT has expired - the registered owner is the one who is liable, not the person driving it at the time.

In the latter case you would be using a trailer with a number which differs from that on it's Carte Grise which doesn't seem right either.

As above, the different number plate is only applicable to trailers which do not require/have their own carte grise

Finally, if you do need a new number plate for a 3rd party to use it can you just walk in off the street and get one made up without the support documentation ?

No.  If the trailer needs the tow car plate, then the third party must produce the tow car carte grise to get the plate made up.   

[/quote]